Summer Hunt - I came out of hibernation this once (colonial, silver, bell, buttons)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Summer Hunt - I came out of hibernation this once (colonial, silver, bell, bu...

I'm not a fan of summer. The heat had been oppressive and the overgrowth is unbelievable this year. So with temps in the low 80's, I took Friday afternoon off and hit a site I hadn't been to in a while.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499630494.083819.jpg

I called it quits but then went out for another hour.

Here's the results.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499630177.991718.jpg

Blanked copper. Likely US with the high reading on the detector. Some buttons and a piece of furniture hardware. Perhaps a pull.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499630188.643791.jpg

Interesting button.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499630201.454183.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499630211.427191.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499630231.610870.jpg

Here's the pewter plating from an iron shoe or knee buckle. I peeled the iron off since it was flaking. I wish I'd taken a picture before I did.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499630242.232726.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499630252.011909.jpg

Anyway, so old and new. I had a good time now back into hibernation for me!

Good hunts

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 35

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweatin' to the "Oldies" as Richard Simmons would say. Ew, sorry about that. Way to get out in the heat and get some great old finds. Summer time for me means night hunting or a plunge in a creek with my AT Pro. It's just not enjoyable sweating for pull tabs hoping for at least a wheat penny. Congrats on your silver and old relics.:icon_thumright:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well! Congrats!

As long as you're not the one being found on the ground, all is well!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs! Love that "sun" button. I found one like it, just a little bigger earlier this year. Always nice to hit silver!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too hate summer. It's a very busy time of the year for us at work and at home. I hate hot weather, bugs, and high grass and brush. Guess I'm getting soft in my old age. But just like you, sometimes we just have to get out there and scratch the itch. I went out this morning early for two hours and had enough. I managed two buttons and a horse tack buckle but just couldn't get into it. Looks like you done well and got your fix. Congrats Bud, fall will be here soon. [emoji106]

HH, RN

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Congrats and glad you could get out! we finally bought some rain so we're not digging in powered dirt.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
in the last several years I have become a "fair weather" man. I hate the extreme heat and cold. So I hunt the daylight for a few hours and then the last hour or two before dark. We tend to have bad critters crawling after dark and my eyes aren't so good in the dark these days. great hunt for you when you managed to go. be safe and not sorry

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really sucks to be old, too hot, too cold, too early, too late. Too wet or dry, and too many blood sucking bugs. But if the site warrants it I'm up for a beating. :)

Good to see that your still alive and willing to suck your brains out in the heat Scappy.
At least you got some fine looking pieces for your hunt.

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too hot for me too, but those are some great finds- Love the SLQ!

-- Jeff --

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
git yo'self a portable tent on wheels youze can sit in___ a small generator & wit a $99 AC---- y'all be cool & comfy while ya be diggin' dem relics. some nice pocket fillers as a reward for your effort :icon_thumright:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Scrappy, nice to see that you got out. I do enjoy finding coin silver,, and the skeleton keys are also favorites.
Congratulations.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With finds like that, I don't know how you can keep hibernating!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs! Love that "sun" button. I found one like it, just a little bigger earlier this year. Always nice to hit silver!

Thanks. The sun button was a great surprise. When dig it just looked like a regular one. It's still my favorite find of the group however. Cheers

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
in the last several years I have become a "fair weather" man. I hate the extreme heat and cold. So I hunt the daylight for a few hours and then the last hour or two before dark. We tend to have bad critters crawling after dark and my eyes aren't so good in the dark these days. great hunt for you when you managed to go. be safe and not sorry

I'll get out in the heat and sub-zero temps, it's really the combination of heat + brush + foliage that makes conditions virtually impossible. The only critters I worry about are timber rattlers. I know they're rare, but if they are hanging out anywhere in my area, it's right where I'm hunting. I'm sure I'll get in a few hunts before the fall foliage, conditions permitting. Cheers

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Really sucks to be old, too hot, too cold, too early, too late. Too wet or dry, and too many blood sucking bugs. But if the site warrants it I'm up for a beating. :)

Good to see that your still alive and willing to suck your brains out in the heat Scappy.
At least you got some fine looking pieces for your hunt.

Thanks Pepp. Not I'm not old, but wise enough to say what's the point when it's 97 degrees out and I can hunt 3% of the site that's not overgrown. I hope to hear about your fall trips when things die down buddy. You'll hear about mine. Cheers

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done Scrappy. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
git yo'self a portable tent on wheels youze can sit in___ a small generator & wit a $99 AC---- y'all be cool & comfy while ya be diggin' dem relics. some nice pocket fillers as a reward for your effort :icon_thumright:

When I win the lotto I'll set up a completely enclosed tented area, hire tractors with bush-hogs to clear, and have at it. Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread