Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past Sunday, 8-2-15, I finally got to hit a hill that I have been wanting to hunt for awhile. I spoke to a park employee who pointed out the physical borders that would give me access to the lower part of the hill. He pretty much showed me the property line and then wished me good luck. From the dates on the silver that I recovered as well as the abundance of coins, I'm pretty sure that I got me a Virgin Site.
I recovered 6 Silver Coins which is not the most taken in a single hunt but what may make this hunt one of my best hunts ever is the fact that I dug out a few "FIRSTS"
I started the hunt with a 1914 Barber Dime, that was soon followed by a 1917 Mercury Dime. Then came my first, "FIRST" of the day. An 1893 Barber Half. I have never in all my years of detecting rescued a Barber Half from the soil. These coins were around the 6 to 8 inch depth but my E-Trac was getting very clear signals. The silver kept coming in the form of a near mint 1964d Washington quarter. Then came my second FIRST. A 1918 Walking Liberty Half. I have recovered Walking Liberty Halves in the past but I have never had the good fortune of finding 2 Silver Halves in one hunt.
There was one more silver to be found before I decided to call it quits It appeared in the form of a near mint 1926 Mercury Dime. By this time I had dug a total of 95 coins. I will most certainly be visiting this spot again.
I know there are some, including some experts, who say that you should never clean a coin. Well as far as "Key Dates' go,, I never do, but these silver coins will never leave my personal collection of found coins. So after massaging them with a little baking soda and water, the beauty of the coins really popped out.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 4

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a"Silver" bonanza you found ! Congrats on that great hunt !

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread