Sundays Hunt

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Well, as Rootmaster mentioned in a earlier post, we met up yesterday with Goio, Snowmanfromtexas and McEtrac for one last hunt for this season. I would have been perfectly content ending the year with my first seated dime 2 weeks ago, but with the temps pushing 50 deg. and the thought of getting to a new (very old park) for me was too much to pass up. My DFX, armed with a new, untried 10" DD coil was up for the challenge of digging some oldies, even though the thought of hunting with 4 Etrac-ers was a bit daunting! :o
The finds for me were slim and the ground was so hard at first that I felt like I was just chipping ice for a good Martini. ;D Meanwhile, the other guys were digging foot deep birthday cake plugs with the shouts of "wheatie, silver and Injun". Then I got some good advise from Goio! He said, "hey John, quit banging :violent1: your DFX against the tree and put the coil on the ground". Actually I wasn't banging it against a tree, but at times I sure wanted too. ;D
So I did.....also changed some settings and the deepies started ringing through. My next hit was the 3 coin spill which included a 1899 V nickel, a first for me. After the other guys left for the day, Root and I decided to hit one last spot but were denied by a 10' high fence with barb wire at the top. Well we figured we'd just hit the spot we were at as it was getting dark soon. I turned on the DFX as it was leaning against me and it started popping a quarter tone. I figured it was just falsing and needed a ground balance, but nope, another spill 6" down. 3 wheats and 3 Mercs, all touching.

HH everybody!

Attachments

• last1.jpg
    last1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 182
  • last2.jpg
    last2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 176
  • last3.jpg
    last3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 176
  • last4.jpg
    last4.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 189
  • last4.jpg
    last4.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 173
  • last3.jpg
    last3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 174
  • last2.jpg
    last2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 169
  • last1.jpg
    last1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 174

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sundays Hunt..........

You did very well man..........Maybe I should have stayed,but I was thirsty,and thought if I got home a little early. It might make the Wife happy.....N O T...............L. O. L. ............( I ) would have been happier if I would have stayed...........LOL .......The Fluttie sound of One more wheatie would have made me happier than the sound of my wife's squeaky voice when I got home.
Great coin spill Congrats

Tim_IL

May 23, 2008
IL
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Whites DFX
Wow Dad that was really an amazing find. So will that be the last hunt of the year??? Congrats on the V nick too, See ya soon.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You had a great hunt to say the least :thumbsup: Finding a "vintage" pocket
spill like that is always a thrill. That small soldier (possibly a Manoil?) is really nice.

Great hunt & happy Holidays!
watercolor

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nice digs, MULTICOIN!

What happened to that signalman? Lost his head and hands?!?

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
That was such an amazing find, we kept saying no one is going to believe you dug all of those and they were touching. Well I was there when the three dimes and wheaties were laying in the dirt all touching each other and even I didn't believe it! LOL.

After that we about killed ourselves staying well past sunset. The blistering winds picked up from the storm that was rolling in. It got increasingly harder to keep swinging after all of that digging through frozen ground without anything to eat all day. At the end of the day are brains were frozen because we both got great signals that ended up being twice as deep as the reading said they were, yet we kept digging to china just to see what great new thing we would find. I personally had a GREAT 10-43 signal at 8" that wasn't sweet, but was repeatable just like the 8" dime I buried in my backyard last week. Well after I got down 8" my probe wasn't doing diddly. But the big coil still said the treasure was below. Like a sucker I kept digging hoping for a seated half dollar spill or something... 12" down I hit packed gravel... 3" through that and it was dirt again... more and more dirt kept coming and finally I felt a thin piece of metal that was connected to something bigger. I couldn't get it out of there so I had to bury it back up. My whole arm was down this hole... it was DEEEP. When I covered it back up I thought, I could have been in the car getting warm by now!

It was a great hunt to say the least.

PullTab Blues said:
Wow Dad that was really an amazing find. So will that be the last hunt of the year??? Congrats on the V nick too, See ya soon.

When you come up here we will go hunting one last time hopefully. Even if we have to bring a chainsaw!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Wow, you started slow but finished hot! :thumbsup:

Two spills in one day, and on your last (we'll see) hunt of the season. I've gotta feeling I'll be reading more posts from you before April, especially since you know that guy Brett so well. ;D

Stay Warm Guys!
Mike

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
"But the big coil still said the treasure was below. Like a sucker I kept digging hoping for a seated half dollar spill or something... 12" down I hit packed gravel... 3" through that and it was dirt again... more and more dirt kept coming and finally I felt a thin piece of metal that was connected to something bigger. I couldn't get it out of there so I had to bury it back up. My whole arm was down this hole... it was DEEEP. When I covered it back up I thought, I could have been in the car getting warm by now!"

Should have dug another foot, might have found a car! Either that or an oil pipeline in which case you could tap that sucker and get a second income! Later you could do info-mercials on your proven system for making money from the FP and staying hetereosexual at the same time. Conundrum solved! Man just picture all those little paper signs at rural crossroads promising a way to earn more money than ever with your number on them!!!

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
watercolor said:
Wow! You had a great hunt to say the least :thumbsup: Finding a "vintage" pocket
spill like that is always a thrill. That small soldier (possibly a Manoil?) is really nice.

Great hunt & happy Holidays!
watercolor

I was able to trace it down as a Barclay WW1 signalman

Attachments

• soldier1.jpg
    soldier1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 152
  • soldier1.jpg
    soldier1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 144

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Congrats on the pocket spill. The silver was rare to find on that spot of ground we were hunting. That ice that you were chipping, was it for a "dirty" martini? LOL. The frozen ground makes it tough but we all came out with some good stuff. SMAN...

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds bud!!! :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Awesome! Sounds like you guys had a blast! I was busy digging old soda can tops and shotgun shells all day Sunday.

Those old pocket spills are great! I've gotten some of those before...nothing better than pulling out a wheat or two and then your probe telling you there's more...and the excitement that follows!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread