Sunray Probe...anyway to get one ...do you use one?..Etrac

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an FX-1 on my F-75 and like it very much.

You're facing the classic economic problem of supply vs. demand. New they went for something like $195. But now they are discontinued. So, is a used one worth half that? Or, because they are now rare yet still desireable, twice that?

They are worth what you will pay to prevent someone else from getting what you want. I owned a flintlock musket built by a well known gunsmith who died two years before I sold my 15 year old used and hunted with flintlock . . . for more than I paid for it.

Supply and demand.

So, ask yourself if you will be keeping that Etrac for another five or ten years. If "yes", then the X-1 may be worth $250 to you. If, on the other hand, you're going to sell for something else in a year or two it may only be worth $100 or $150 to you.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the one to fit the
Etrac/explorer series

(SUN RAY X-1 TARGET PROBE)

has to be professionally mounted to the upper rod,
so the cable runs inside it (part of the reason you'll
most likely pay close to $300
for a used one for the Etrac)

hjh.jpg

so odds are in order to get one, you will need to purchase an Etrac or explorer
with it on or get lucky someone will split it up.

ebay would be the most likely place to watch.
and it won't hurt to watch our classifieds just in case.

in all honesty, I had one for my first Explorer.
in order to use it properly I needed to lower me sensitivity drastically to
pinpoint. otherwise, at Full sensitivity it was like holding a ball of Lightening
and sticking it in the hole. The detection range went all the way up through the
probe wire, so there was no way to pinpoint the metal.
so if you like to hunt with Full sense Like me :tongue3:
You got this

images.jpg

till you turn it down :laughing7:

I'd still probably purchase another, if they were $50.00

in contrast, the S-1 on my sovereign was indispensable :thumbsup:
one of the best investments I ever made.
I even wore the tip off the first one and bought a 2nd.

Last edited:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one on my etrac, it came with it used. Honestly, I prefer my handheld pinpointer. More convenient to use, just push he button and go. No unwinding the cord remembering to flip the switch, etc...

I only keep it as a backup in case my pinpointer quits. I will say that the Sunray gets better depth, and of course gives target ID, but wouldn't pay the going price for one.

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
Come on...The Sunray is the second best thing for the Minelabs...First RNB Battery............No other pinpointer even comes close.......When digging deep...will keep you from digging those deep nails....Once hole is open......I don"t care who you are...when it is Deep.....no machine can ID right!

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X1 Probe, 11" DD coil, & 10x5" SEF coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Etrac with the Sunray X-1 probe and I really like it. I paid $270 for mine on ebay with the lower shaft. I cannot say enough about it. I can never forget it without leaving the detector, no need to carry extra batteries for a pointer, works with the discrimination patterns, detects quite deep on its own (if a target is fairly close to the surface I just use the probe to pin point it), and replaceable end caps are cheap. My favorite is the fact it works with the discrimination pattern. I hunt some pretty trashy areas and the Sunray will just null out on discriminated targets. It helps me locate the desired target around all the trash. Ebay is the best bet but I thought I might have seen one in the forum classifieds :icon_scratch:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 78 - I wont detect without the SunRay Probe, it is incredible to say the least. I have a contact close by that sells them and mounts them, I haven't talked to him in a while and was not aware they discontinued them? I will e-mail my guy right now and let you know his response.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 78 - I wont detect without the SunRay Probe, it is incredible to say the least. I have a contact close by that sells them and mounts them, I haven't talked to him in a while and was not aware they discontinued them? I will e-mail my guy right now and let you know his response.

I was like that with my S-1 on my Sovereign.
The probe was in my hand as fast as I lay my detector down every time

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was like that with my S-1 on my Sovereign.
The probe was in my hand as fast as I lay my detector down every time

True story - I was out detecting and my probe went on the fritz. I detected for another 1/2 hour or so and got so frustrated at how long it took me to retrieve a target, I went home. I guess that probe really spoiled me. When I first got the probe, I would go hunting with friends and I would double and triple the amount of targets they found. it was all because my recovery time is so fast with the Sunray.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True story - I was out detecting and my probe went on the fritz. I detected for another 1/2 hour or so and got so frustrated at how long it took me to retrieve a target, I went home. I guess that probe really spoiled me. When I first got the probe, I would go hunting with friends and I would double and triple the amount of targets they found. it was all because my recovery time is so fast with the Sunray.

Yes before the Probe I was OK. I used my eyes.
After getting used to the Probe, my eyes stopped Working the way they did
& would only see the Object after the pinpointer.

Recovery speeds had to improve also

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the sunray for my safari it was ok, I prefer my Garrett. I actually sold mine on ebay for 400 When The prices went crazy.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about getting one, but it seemed like a lot of weight to add to an already heavy machine. Just a fancy way to do what my X-pointer already does. My pinpointer came with a lanyard, so I don't worry about losing it.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about getting one, but it seemed like a lot of weight to add to an already heavy machine. Just a fancy way to do what my X-pointer already does. My pinpointer came with a lanyard, so I don't worry about losing it.

I hear that allot ( a lot of weight :tongue3: )

tape an Orange to your control Box. probably be close to the same

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one on my V3i and was not impressed at all. The depth was poor compared to my TRX and having to keep the cable out of the way, clipping it to the shaft, flipping the switch and ground balancing was just too much screwing around. I seems they are either a love or hate relationship. Good luck on whatever you decide.

OP
OP
J

jhapes78

Greenie
Oct 19, 2013
Ks
Detector(s) used
E trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its gone..thanks anyway

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
they are hard to get and cost a lot...I have mine for my lifetime!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread