Sunset Hunt on Friday

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an interesting sunset hunt on Friday. It started off kind of slow but then I had a dolphin encounter. I was hunting in a few feet of water and noticed a woman taking a picture with the camera pointed off to the right of me. I looked to see what she was taking a picture of and to my surprise a dolphin was headed toward me. It kept getting closer and closer - to the point I just froze in place watching as it approached. It passed close to me and a little further down the beach swam in a circle apparently trying to catch fish in the shallows. I did see one fish jump into the air trying to escape. Anyway it continued on and hung out in the beach area while people took pictures. I wonder if the metal detector somehow peaked the curiosity of the dolphin.

As the sun was getting close to the horizon I started detecting on a path that would take me to where I would exit the water on the beach. I got a sweet sounding tone on the Excalibur in shallow water. Dug my scoop into the sand and pulled out a gold ring. Of course I am not sure if the ice is real. There is a 14K mark on one side and a fainter 25 mark on the other side. Anyone know what the 25 might mean?

HH everyone!

:occasion14:

Attachments

• 060410_01.JPG
    060410_01.JPG
    464.9 KB · Views: 507
  • 060410_02.JPG
    060410_02.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 519
  • 060410_03.JPG
    060410_03.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible the 25 means 25 points of a diamond or about 1/4 carat.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Very nice find! I am no longer afraid of being in the water with the manatee. They do scare me for a minute when they just "appear" but I'm ok once I see what they are. Now dolphins are a different story. I have been in the water many times when they have been around but I always make my way to the edge of the water. I am not sure how they are going to act. I've heard all the stories about them saving people but I've also heard the stories where they can kill a shark so I am not sure I want to be standing still when one heads towards me. I'm a coward. They are beautiful to watch.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
nice ring! I love having the manatees and dolphins swim near me.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You folks down south have some serious beasts to contend with in the water. Up in new england if anything the worst is an aggresive fish on a bed...

I was detecting a swim hole a few weeks ago when I felt something slam my detector coil. Took a few steps back and started creeping again[ maybe I hit something]. And bam something slammed it again.

Im not kidding It was scary...just a fishy. A manatee...forget It id be to scared lol. HH -Joe

mumszie said:
Very nice find! I am no longer afraid of being in the water with the manatee. They do scare me for a minute when they just "appear" but I'm ok once I see what they are. Now dolphins are a different story. I have been in the water many times when they have been around but I always make my way to the edge of the water. I am not sure how they are going to act. I've heard all the stories about them saving people but I've also heard the stories where they can kill a shark so I am not sure I want to be standing still when one heads towards me. I'm a coward. They are beautiful to watch.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
mumszie said:

Lol Mumzie,bless. They can kill a shark by ramming their noses/snouts into the sharks gills.Keep ya gills out of the way and you'll be fine!

Burning Metal

Dec 6, 2008
Tampa Bay area Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Nice ring find, I love living here in Florida and seeing all the wildlife and such! I see Dolpins quite a bit here on the Suncoast, usually anywhere in numbers from about 1 - 5 or so but a VERY cool thing happened last year. My wife and I were out for a sunset walk on Holmes beach and there had to of been at least 50 or more dolphins! There were some out deeper and others closer to shore...looked like the ones further out were driving the fish in towards the beach and the ones closer to shore were catching the fish and eating them...one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread