Upvote 0
OP
OP
SouthernGirl

SouthernGirl

Nov 6, 2008
alabama
Twitch said:
SoGirl - That's a really nice point. From the picture it appears the base is not ground. Can you confirm for us? Interesting as the form is in-line with a number of late Paleo types. What other point types have you found at this site? I keep looking at the picture and wanting to put it in Archaic (Conerly) or Woodland (Candy Creek) time frames, but it really does look like an old piece to me.

Out of curiousity what do you think it is?

Joe
Thanks so much for all the nice comments! Yes your are right it isn't ground on the base. I have found lots of woodland type points but I have also found several broken points that would fit in to the paleo type too. Where I live it was a well known to have been inhabited for many years.

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero; Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! Killer Killer Point :icon_thumright:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic find. I saw the material just now and started digging around I think this is close to your material it is from near N.Ala. TreeFrog finds the same material on the Cumberland.
100_3515.JPG

I then started looking at some N.Ala types and bases. One is rough but a simiiar material. Mine are all a little smaller as well
100_3517.JPG

But as you can see they are really not like yours at all.. Your seems to go straight out from the base up. I wonder if it coud not be an un fluted Clovis? I just do not see it being a woodland or Mississipian type. I would suggest having someone that is familiar with S.E types handle it. It does not look Candy creek or connerly to me unless it has been heavily reshapened on the sides which is possible..
P.s
I am no expert! :icon_sunny:
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
SouthernGirl

SouthernGirl

Nov 6, 2008
alabama
Hey Tenn I think that is the very same material. I find alot of that around here but I also found a quartz one Saturday too. I was afraid to say the "clovis" word around here but that is what my husband said he thought after we had looked threw the books. I said I couldn't be that lucky it must be something else. I bet I had walked over it 2 dozen times this fall.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Very nice point southerngirl. Is your point ground / smoothed?

It's easier telling what it's not, than what it is. I'll address some of the types already thrown out in this thread.

It's not Goshen. Goshen are found much further west and may not even be a valid type. Frison (who named Goshen at Mill Iron site) named the type simply because the dates are older than other plainview points. Frison called them Goshen-Plainview because of the possibility that they are the same point but with a long time continuum. Vance Haynes believes they also are the same point type and that the name Goshen should be dropped and Jeb Taylor is very tentative about the association as well (projectile points of the high plains). It is impossible to tell the difference between many samples of Goshen and Plainview, hence the designation Goshen-Plainview by Taylor & Frison.

It's not Conerly. Conerly are the same point type as the Guilford Stemmed, but have a much wider distribution range than the other Guilford. The Conerly designation was given for a more southern type (Georgia) and Guilford stemmed for around the Piedmonts area. As the name implies, both of them typically have a small contracting stem or hafting area - sometimes not very noticeable.

I don't believe it's Candy Creek. Candy Creek usually have recurved sides, not typically convex. However, yours has been resharpened many times and it's possible it could have lost that in the process....but I don't think so.

Now, for the possibilities. It may be an unfluted Clovis, dunno. I think there's a greater chance that it could be a Paint Rock Valley (see Cambron). It's in the right area and seems to meet the criteria. Paint Rock Valley is an early to mid Archaic point and there is a lot of confusion as to where to put them, I think mainly due to them looking so much like other forms / preforms.

OP
OP
SouthernGirl

SouthernGirl

Nov 6, 2008
alabama
Thanks so much for all the imformation. It really did help. It is cold here today but sunny so Im ready to hunt.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
TennMtns : One thing striking about your points and Southern Gal's is that the basal treatments are similar -- abruptly beveled, you could say. You see the same thing on some of what they're now calling "Paleoarchaic" era points from out west. It started earlier and seems to have continued after "fluting" was discontinued.

FWIW

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
sOUTHERN GIRL. I THINK THAT YOUR POINT MAY BE A COPENA TRIANGULAR. GO TO PROJECTILE POINT TYPES.COM,, ALABAMA--ALPHABETICAL OR TYPE LANCEOLATE. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. t.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck is great but persistance is the key...what a beautiful find...

I agree. If you wouldn't have went out that day, you wouldn't have that beautiful point.
People ask me all the time how I find all those killer artifacts.
Standard anwser: I go look for em.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best i have seen!!!! Great find and congrats! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
What a wonderful find, SoGirl! I just love it when the object has interesting color(s)! Lets you know that "utility" wasn't the only criteria the Native Americans sought in making their points...

I'm, of course, far from being ANY kind of "expert" but, even before I read what other people wrote on this thread, my first thought when I saw the photo was "Clovis".

Keep up the good huntin'!!! :hello2:

NorCal Gal

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uniface said:
TennMtns : One thing striking about your points and Southern Gal's is that the basal treatments are similar -- abruptly beveled, you could say. You see the same thing on some of what they're now calling "Paleoarchaic" era points from out west. It started earlier and seems to have continued after "fluting" was discontinued.

FWIW

Welll that was just a few. It is weird here with the basil work and ears. The same on the beaver lakes but heavier as with daltons. So many SE point in this style as you and Matt say really do not fit in the slots like they should. I have many I am not reallly sure what they are,lol. Candy creek is a start.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread