Super Tuning?

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
I have a new Tejon and was reading everything I could find on the Tesoro website and I found this paragraph on Super Tuning:

Super Tuning is a technique to get better depth and sensitivity out of any machine that has an adjustable Threshold control.

The Threshold control is normally used to set the level of hum in the All Metal mode. A light steady hum is usually desired so that any small or deep target will cause a change in the audio sound. To Super Tune a detector, put it in the Discriminate mode and turn the Threshold knob all the way to the clockwise position. At this point, the All Metal mode will no longer operate correctly, but you will see an increase in depth and sensitivity while hunting in the Discriminate mode.

I tried it on the Tejon and I couldn't tell any difference at all on measured air tests. Has anybody tried this with any success? Is there a certain time to use it? Thanks

It is very hard to tell with air test. The only good way to test it is to locate a deep target in Super Tune and then see if you can locate again with the detector operating with regular threshold. It works.........but not many know arout it. It can also cause some falsing over bad ground.

I have a Vaquero and always hunt with it supertuned.

The manual describes how to supertune it. I bench tested it in air and was able to get another inch or two while supertuned in discriminate mode. I'm assuming it would also get some extra depth on a target in the ground.

It seems to work, I'm pleased, and I would recommend it.

Just remember to un-supertune it if your going to use the pinpoint button!

Tejon's come "supertuned" from the factory.

You can't supertune a tejon. The V and C will and maybe some others.

HH
Chris

Re: Tejon's come "supertuned" from the factory.

Chris Clark said:
You can't supertune a tejon. The V and C will and maybe some others.

HH
Chris

The Vaquero does have Max Boost which is increasing the Threshold and Sensitivity into the orange range. You might have to back off the Sens. if it becomes too erratic. To understand it better, you might look at page 15.

http://www.tesoro.com/Tejon Manual-Web.pdf

I have used it on the Cibola but it needs to be away from external power sources. It's not recommended to do it inside with stuff like computers, tv's, and other power sources.

This is an old trick actually and didn't originate with Tesoro's. I recall doing it with my White's Classic models, too. In a detector that is audio modulated, like the Tesoro's, it's possible that weaker signals, like those from deep targets, cannot overcome the audio signalling limit of the circuit.
(This is technically called the 'audio signal threshold', but we'll not use that term in order to avoid confusion.)
Now, where was I? Oh yes, when this happens to weak signals, they aren't given an audio response that you can hear. They exist, but you wont hear them, or they may be at the very edge of the limit.
Supertuning, or hyper tuning as some call, it is a way to overcome this "lower audio signal limit."

In essence, what you do is increase the threshold to well beyond it's normal 'low hum'. This has the effect of adding a boost to the audio response signal (NOT the transmitted signal, as some have said), thus giving some of these weaker or edge signals a chance of "punching through."

I like to use it in a mild form for nearly all hunting, as it gives a sharper response to nearly all targets. I find it especially helpful in ID'ing foil. In scenarios where really deep targets exist without too much trash, you go all the way with it and max out the threshold control. Together with increased SENS levels, it could spell the difference in such places as plowed fields and dry sand beaches.

For normal hunting, just set it at about 1 o'clock on the knob face. As far as I know, all Tesoros with a threshold control will "hypertune," to some degree.

The Tejon is internally set to be always "super tuned". The gain is set wide open internally from the factory. On the V and C, you need to turn the threshold all the way open after you have GB'd. It definately does work on the V and C. The downside is if you switch to pinpoint mode while supertuned. You will blast your ears off.

Maybe I'm wrong but all this "super tune" thing is (if you really boil it all down) is running the detector at full throttle in it's potential receive sensitivity. There's nothing one can do to increase the transmit power because that's set.

"Super Tuning" is kind of like connecting a hearing aid to your detector. Your amplifying the signal much like adding one of those gizmos they sell for that sort of thing.

I use either the Tejon or original Silver Sabre so "super tuning" (as it's known today) really isn't a factor with me.

But, I do have a sensitivity knob on both machines and what I've learned is that there are times when you can have too much sensitivity.

Not long ago I was hunting with the Tejon maxed-out in sensitivity and getting some chatter. I got an iffy signal I was ready to pass up but decided to turn the sensitivity down and suddenly there was a very distinct signal. Too much sensitivity corrupted an otherwise clear signal by amplifying all the tiny iron particles in the soil around the target.

Tesoros greatest selling point is it's clear signal. With some brands you're always guessing about signals. Not so with Tesoro--once learned those goodies just ring out loud and clear.

This is one reason I like this brand over some others that may or may not be deeper. Tesoros are deep enough so what really matters to me is a clear signal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back