jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thousands of people fled their homes in the Philippines when a powerful typhoon hit the country's east coast. It is the strongest of fifteen storms to hit the Philippines this year. The storm intensified rapidly on Thursday morning and was upgraded to the "super typhoon" category. The typhoon reached the coast on Siargao Island at 5:30 am, with a wind speed of about 200 kilometers per hour. {124.274 MPH}
More than 45,000 people have been evacuated to safer locations. In some areas, the power supply was interrupted. Airlines canceled dozens of flights, and shipping was also suspended. Typhoon Rai, known locally as Odette, hits the Philippines at the end of the typhoon season. This is the second super typhoon to threaten the country since September, when Typhoon Chantu hit the northeastern tip of the main island of Luzon.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eye of the typhoon passed just north on my inlaws home maybe 60 miles north of them, it is where I stayed for 3 weeks in 2019. Still waiting to hear how they are, last we heard they were good, most likely the electricity and or internet is out now.

Typhoon went over the Island of Bohol (middle red dot) which is the island we toured while there in 2019. I also spent 3 weeks in Cebu City on Cebu island on a different visit far left dotd, typhoon crossed there too.

Right to left

1st red dot is my in-law's home.

2nd red dot is the Island of Bohol where the chocolate hills are located, we spent 3 days there, exploring caves, chocolate hills and some nice zip lines from the cliffs across the valley and rivers. Lots to see and do, nice bar life and shows outside too.

The 3rd dot is Cebu city, it is a nice large city with lots of things to do.

Typhoon Odette2.png

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope all are ok
Thanks, same here, last we heard was about 11 am this morning my time which was tonight 11 pm their time there, they were good but it hadn't passed them yet. No contact but sure it is due to electric and internet down. The Philippines are 12 hours ahead of EST in the states..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Butuan scooter tour, notice the lack of use of traffic lights and traffic signs.

Butuan night tour on scooter

Here are the Choclate Hills.
Choclate Hills PI.jpg

Cebu City at night.
Cebu City PI Night Time.jpg

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard someone say, "Nothing good comes from the water." I'm starting to believe it. The ocean is a nice place to visit but I'm glad I live far away from it. Good luck to the people under the gun in Philippines.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, same here, last we heard was about 11 am this morning my time which was tonight 11 pm their time there, they were good but it hadn't passed them yet. No contact but sure it is due to electric and internet down. The Philippines are 12 hours ahead of EST in the states..
I,m a little late TH but hope all your in laws are OK.The Philippines is a nice place with some fine people if you take the time to get to know them.Of course you know that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard today about brother and family in Cebu City, they are fine, they are still without electricity and internet. Minor damage to their home.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TYPOON ODETTE!! SOBRANG NAKAKATAKOT!! TALIBON, BOHOL​

looks like the winds were no worse then what hits here in Pa,
when a storm comes this far inland. allot to clean up and repair though.

worst part appeared to be what they were eating

of course I'm only 7:36 minutes in so far

ok things just got real at about 11:15 :o

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TYPHOON 2021 - CEBU CITY IN CRISIS - The Aftermath Report Of Typhoon Rai (Odette) In The Philippines​

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panic & Profiteering After The Storm In Cebu City.
Panic buying and profiteering after the storm in Cebu City. There is a lot of Panic and Profiteering happening in Cebu City. While sorting the repair of six houses I have noticed building materials have jumped in price as much as 20%. One water refilling station charging 60 pesos per refill was closed down by the DTI. Gas prices are soaring, fueled by panic buying.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah...that shows a difference.

I say "minimal"... CONSIDERING the strength.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen TH... did you live through Andrew ?
Live here that is ?... see the aftermath ?

Complete devastation... A swath of nothingness.
Plastic drinking straws embedded in palm trees... super steel structures like the big daddy 6 foot round steel stuff tied in pretzels type of things.

Katrina ? ? ? ... now that to me is devestation...

To me... from Jeffs op vids.... it is like a "bad storm" here. heh

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen TH... did you live through Andrew ?
Live here that is ?... see the aftermath ?

Complete devastation... A swath of nothingness.
Plastic drinking straws embedded in palm trees... super steel structures like the big daddy 6 foot round steel stuff tied in pretzels type of things.

Katrina ? ? ? ... now that to me is devestation...

To me... from Jeffs op vids.... it is like a "bad storm" here. heh
That is because you are here and not there. They do not have FEMA to help them rebuild their homes either.

When Andrew hit I was living in Missouri but had friends living in Miami that took me days to contact.

I was born and raised in Florida, been in many hurricanes here.

When Odette hit it had winds gusts of 160 mph with sustained winds of over 130 mph and made landfall 8 times crossing the middle of the Philippines as a Cat 5 typhoon and a Cat 5 typhoon is the same as cat 5 hurricane.

So far 375 are dead, hundreds still missing and almost 500,000 were displaced due to damage to their homes.

" initial data would show that at least five regions were hardest hit by the typhoon, which made landfall nine times carrying Category 5 winds of up to 260 kph." (260kph = 161 mph.)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread