Surf pro dual field pi opinions please

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Surf pro dual field pi opinion's please

Looking for some opinion's on my new machine. I've recently switched from a beach hunter 300 I'd and haven't been having the best of luck since then. I've had great finds with my beach hunter most likely because I was able to discriminate out most iron and trash. My buddy hunts with a tesoro sand shark in VCO mode and usually goes home with at least a few small silver items such as charms and toe rings as well as clad. Clad has not been an issue for me nor is finding deep iron targets or pull tabs. I did however find a 10kt wedding band but very few targets compared to him in VCO mode. Could someone please set me straight on the comparison between the two and the beach hunter as well? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Just looking to feel I made the right choice in my detector.
Thanks to all who may respond.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need a little more info. Are you hunting in fresh or salt water? In the water or on the wet or dry sand? Where do you spend most of your time detecting?

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hunting wet and dry at the beach (ocean) with my Beach hunter and now with my surf master dual field pi. I only hunt the beach mostly wet sand and shallow water when I can but the surf is just to ruff for detecting since I've switched machines. After sandy sent her waves to the Florida coast it put in most areas a 2-6ft cut in the beach up to the dunes and just above the high tide line. The problem may be that all the sand that was stripped away has created a sand bar that runs a few miles approximately 50ft off the shore leaving only a 20' swimming area before you are out of the water ontop of the sand bar. In the shallow area now are ridiculous rip currents running parallel to shore making it difficult to stand in let alone recover targets.
Thought here is the goodies are buried under the sand bar. 99% of the time the surf is too ruff to even enter let alone detect. Wet sand produces clad and on occasion small silver charms and toe rings but sucked up by my buddy with his sand shark in VCO mode.
Running the gain control at 3:00 and my arm is paying for it digging to China! Thanks for the response.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no special settings for more targets. Just sweep low and not to fast even with the bottom through the whole sweep. My biggest concern was having to hold the "neutral-bouyancy" coil near the bottom. Let go of it and it floated to the top. Nobody elses detectors coils float as bad. But the light weight coil was easier on the arm when on the wet sand. I used a sand filled sock to add weight and took it off when out of the water.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just got Clives book The Whites Surfmaster P.I. Dual field "An advanced Guide". It is really good! I am making a pi bench test kit to learn to differentiate the difference in response between gold , foil, bottle caps, rusty bottle caps, bobby pins, nails, ect. He talks about different coil control methods in ruff water. I too just bought a pi dual field and looking forward to hitting the beach. The book is filled with different tuning techniques as well.
Dan

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tip. Where is it available for purchase? How much? Testing items very good idea. Love the machine but hate digging iron. Sometimes I miss my beach hunter 300 but then I think of all the gold I most likely missed. Wish I researched VLF's before I bought the B.H. so glad I bought a P.I. no more false signals in the surf! Good luck hunting!

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Clivesgoldpage . Com is where u can find that book. I think the cost is $14.95 . I am putting together the bench test kit to learn the differ responses he talks about in the book. It is a great winter project or when i cant get to beach. Have you bought the blue anderson shaft for the pi dual field?

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Oooh yea....Got my setup in the mail today. I am ready to go to the beach

Attachments

• 2012-12-05 22.21.51.jpg
    2012-12-05 22.21.51.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 322

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Hey, Lost items recovery. Here is a pic of the bench test kit I put together. I got 4 36in wood rulers from Home depot cut into 3's. Used hot glue gun to attach the items. This is a great way to learn the differences in responses of the pi dual field "good winter project".
Pulse-Induction-Bench-Test-Kit.jpg

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Your welcome! Dual field is interesting. I tuned it and in a bench air test i dont hear a response for bobby pins. I can hear gold response is sharp, quick, clean.under the coil, no halo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread