PhotoScout

Greenie
Nov 15, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, MineLab XT 18000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a pre-owned V3i (mint condition: used once) and took it out for the first time yesterday. It came with the D2 and an Eclipse 950 coil. I put the 950 on and went to a local soccer field. I had hunted the area before using a XLT (w/9.5 stock coil). The area is all grass with not-so deep targets; along with moderate trash (typical modern-day park) I used the factory “Coin” program first and then the “Coin & Jewelry” program.

Some things happened that troubled me:

When I sweep the coil over a good target or an iffy target, it seems like the detection is only on the Right side of the coil. As I sweep back and forth, it’s like only half the coil is being used; Right side only. I didn’t really get detection response on the Left side of the coil (sweeping back across).

The second issue is when I pull the trigger to initiate a depth reading, most of the time there is no audio. Sometimes I get audio and as I put the coil on the ground (grass) over the target the audio becomes like a faint overload sound (rough and grumpy).

I made sure to select the 950 Loop within the expert menu and I performed the coil test (RXG=15, TXB-0) and it passed (no overload).

After the storms pass, I’ll go back out with the D2 coil and see what happens. Meanwhile, if anyone has any ideas what’s going on, I’d be very interested.

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You cannot use a big coil in a trashy park bro
Get a 6x10 or even better a 4x10

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the 950 a dual coil? Does it have a left and right coil? Turn up your all metal sensitivity for pin pointing if your not getting audio on pinpoint and make sure VCO is on as it comes set to off on the factory programs.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
The 950 is a concentric coil no left to right sometimes targets are like that especially if ur using discrim. Did u do a ground balance? Mabyu were falsing?

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
These things are something I had/have also. Tested numerous times in my home coin garden and also lost detection swing back right to left. I assumed it was small metals close by, but testing with the M6 after getting it, it hits both ways. When you figure it out, let me know. Loss of audio in PP with the V3i has always boggled my mind too. It is a reality.

Question. Does your Minelab struggle when sweeping the same exact targets?

I bought a pre-owned V3i (mint condition: used once) and took it out for the first time yesterday. It came with the D2 and an Eclipse 950 coil. I put the 950 on and went to a local soccer field. I had hunted the area before using a XLT (w/9.5 stock coil). The area is all grass with not-so deep targets; along with moderate trash (typical modern-day park) I used the factory “Coin” program first and then the “Coin & Jewelry” program.

Some things happened that troubled me:

When I sweep the coil over a good target or an iffy target, it seems like the detection is only on the Right side of the coil. As I sweep back and forth, it’s like only half the coil is being used; Right side only. I didn’t really get detection response on the Left side of the coil (sweeping back across).

The second issue is when I pull the trigger to initiate a depth reading, most of the time there is no audio. Sometimes I get audio and as I put the coil on the ground (grass) over the target the audio becomes like a faint overload sound (rough and grumpy).

I made sure to select the 950 Loop within the expert menu and I performed the coil test (RXG=15, TXB-0) and it passed (no overload).

After the storms pass, I’ll go back out with the D2 coil and see what happens. Meanwhile, if anyone has any ideas what’s going on, I’d be very interested.

Last edited:

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
What do u guys have recovery delay set at? Concentric coils have a cone shaped field its should not make a difference left to right or right to left .The only think I can think of is recovery delay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread