Surf/Water hunting 101

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I have been hunting in dry/wet sand for the last 6 years or so. However, i have tried to hunt in the surf some and am totally ignorant of method and technique. I purchased an inexpensive Cobra Beach Magnet to get my feet wet( pardon the pun) and have tried to use it unsuccessfully. If one of you experienced hunters could take me from the part after I get on the beach, I sure would appreciate it. No detail is to small. I'm headed back to the Outer Banks 6/21 for a week and a half and would like to be able to hunt in the surf.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Rick

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick,

I will tell you what little I know, hope it helps.

Are you not finding any targets in the surf, or just no jewelry? Did you try dropping a quarter or ring in the water with a string attached to the ring and see if it sees it.

I originally bought the Corbra Beach Magnet, but returned it the next day because it did not see a lot of targets even laying on the ground. I returned it and got the Whites Beach Hunter ID. Cobra would not see any gold chains, necklaces, or small rings I laid on the ground. It did see large mens rings, and coins, but I didn't want to be walking over a nice gold chain or a ladies small gold ring with a huge diamond on it to dig a pop top a foot away. (just my personal opinion, but the cobra is waste of money to me) Kellyco allowed me to trade up, but I still had to pay the restocking fee.

If your going to be water hunting much in the water, I would spring for the Excal, you just can't beat it. If there is any targets there and you put your coil over it your going to know it. If you don't want to spend the money for the Excal then go for the BHID, although for a few hundred more you get the best. I bought my Excal off of Ebay for $800 with extras and it works perfect, added the Fla straight shaft to it as well.

I try to hunt low tides, at least 2-3 hours prior to hour or more after, depending on how tired I am from fighting the surf or walking.

I myself try to get to the back side of the sand bars, there are troughs there and that is where I try to hunt if possible. Lot of times the surf want allow me to stay there, but when it's calm that is where I head. Look where the surfline meets the beach line, I have jewelry there as well, caught in the roll.

Look for holes or cuts in the bottom in the water and search them. They will move, be there one hour and gone couple hours later. Stuff gets caught in them and can't get out and it also allows you to get closer to the hard packed bottom where most sits.

I would recommend you get a harness with a bungee strap it not only supports the rod and weight while hunting, but it allows you to let go while you dig. The best scoop you can afford is highly recommended. The bigger the bite the less times you have to return to try to find the target. Here where I hunt I am fighting the surf, trying to move me and drown me, I don't have time to play games with a small cheap scoop.

I hope that helps a little. I am sure Sandman will post and he can give you more help.

OP
OP
M

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks TH, I haven't been impressed with the Cobra either and the excaliber is where I want to go. I don't feel like I know what I'm doing in the surf. I went down to the Outer Banks this past weekend. I checked the tide charts and got there 1 hour before low tide like I'm supposed to. But do I hunt the wet sand or do I hunt behind the waves? I assume I'm supposed to try and get in the trough where the waves break but I really don't know. I do know that last year when I tried to hunt behind the waves, I got beat like a yard dog and if that's what I need to do thats ok. Also the water temp was 61 degrees so I didn't go out very far. Just want to make sure I'm hunting in the right place.

Rick

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a wetsuit, if your going to hunt much in that cold water get one. I got mine off of ebay used for less then $40 shipped to my house. It is an Oceanic 3.5 mil farmer john. Combined it gives me 7 mm of body coverage for the trunk of the body.

If you can hunt the sandbars and trough behind with the surf thats good, just remember drowning is not an option with this hobby. I have found myself underwater trying to climb back up the sandbar where I slid down with a 6 lb scoop in one hand and a 5 lb excal in the other thinking, "this isn't what I planned".... :o

If you cant hunt the sandbar, then hunt the holes and cuts when you find them in the knee to waist deep water. You will learn to read the water if you cant already, and recognize how the water is different over the cuts. It appears almost like rapids or choopy water over the cuts, holes you just feel for them with your feet or shaft of the detector.

I like the Fla straight shaft just for that reason, even though I hunt with the Excal waist mounted, I use the straight shaft attachment to make the shaft longer so I can reach deeper in the trough and cuts and so I can search the bottom for the holes and cuts when you cant see deeper then your knees. I have walked into some deep holes. :o

I envy the people who have beaches with no surf.

I don't know if what I am telling helps you much at all, hope so. There are others a lot more knowledgeable then me on this subject.

If you haven't done so, check this site out, read the section at the top on beach hunting.

http://thegoldenolde.com/

GL & GH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter gave you a lot of fine advice that will help you. He even gave you the link for the best beach teacher, thought old Norm is gone, his web site goes on. thegoldenolde.com/

The Excal is a great detector, but you can also go a little cheaper by getting the land version, the Sovereign GT. It is just not waterproof and you hip mount it or suppend it from your neck. You can also get a Whites Beach Hunter ID like TH, or spring for another near the same price, the Tiger Shark. With the Sov. and Tiger Shark, you can change coils for other types of hunting. The Fisher CZ20 is a fine beach and water detector at near the same price as a Excal, but many have reported funny repair problems since Fisher's was sold. But if your going to spend that kind of money, get the Excal.

Try to get out on the beach very early or stay out late. The one that covers the most ground will find the most. Good Luck......

OP
OP
M

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks for the tips guys. I have really been pleased with my XS and will probably stay with the Minelab brand. Thanks for the wet suit tip too. I'm sure the water temp will still be in the 60s in 3 weeks at the Outer Banks. The water there does't get warm until late July. I've read a lot on the goldenode.com and have learned a lot there already, but I will read through everything again. I can always use more help.

Thanks

Rick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread