Surfmaster PI

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was calling around trying to rent a water detector and found a rental place that had a Surfmaster PI on the shelf brand new. The owner of the rental store said it has never even had batteries in it before. The owner said he would love to get rid of it and offered it to me for $200.00. I have never owned a water detector before and since this one is such an old model I am having difficulty finding any information on it. Any information on this detector would be greatly appreciated. Here are some of my Questions:

Is $200 a good price?
Is this a good water detector?
Any problems I should be concerned with?
What is the standard coil on this detector.

I live about 1100 miles from the store selling this detector, I am having my mom (who lives about 40 miles from the store) pick it up for me so I am buying this site unseen.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price is good at $200.00 dollars for a Whites Surfmaster PI, if it works. Manuals are available on the Whites Detector home page under manuals. It is a good detector for a salt water beach as it handles wet sand easy and it goes deep. However it has hardly no discrimination so you'll be digging deep holes for small pieces of iron. Luckily in salt water iron rusts away fast, but you will still dig deep. It is easy to operate with only two knobs and should have a 9 1/2 inch coil which is the standard size for this detector. If you plan on hunting fresh water, I would forget it as bobby pins and such will give you fits..........

Good luck,

Sandman

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of the main reason I purchased this detector. I don't do a lot of salt water hunting but have always wanted a water detector and for the price I couldn't turn away from this one. This picture is of a Park on a big lake in Upstate NY, it was taken in 1910. I don't know when this stopped being a park, I am still researching that but now there is houses there. I have a friend who's parents own one of the houses and didn't even know that this used to be a popular swimming beach. The majority of the houses built here are between 20 and 50 years old. It should be easy to detect because the first 100 to 150 feet out is flat rock with some vegitation, the dirt on top of the rock is only about 6 inches deep. After the first 100 to 150 Feet out it has a big drop into very deep water. I will be going on vaction the first week of July and am looking forward to spending many hours detecting there.

Attachments

• pc33.jpg
    pc33.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 276

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions