I am just curious, how well does the Minelab Excaliber...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEAesculus said:
perform away from the beach. In such places as the city park or my back yard? I am going to buy an Excaliber for hunting on the beach, but if I go to a lot somewhere should I use my Whites Prizm V or is the Excaliber a fine machine there as well?

The Excalibur is a little heavy out of the water. Great for heavily mineralized soil or sand. I'm not too familiar with the White's. I'm kind of a Minelab person. I have an older Excalibur for water and the beach, an SD-2000 w/mods for nugget hunting, and a new Quattro for general hunting (it's light and pretty much turn on and go).

Hope this helped! Mike

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
If you mount your Excalibur on a balanced straight shaft you can use it with comfort anywhere. The weight factor is only applicable when the machine is in its original mounting set up which is poorly balanced for land use and is reliant on bouyancy in the water. By mounting it to a balanced shaft set up eg.Bill Babbs shaft, the machine is excellent in both applications. Good luck see ya Neilo ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil is 100% right in his suggestion to use a straight line shaft to save weight on the arm and have better balance. The Excal will reach deeper than most detectors on land too.

HH,
Sandman

Thanks guys. I have decided to purchase the Excaliber, mainly a decision from reading the postings on this board, as I will be living within a 20 minute drive of the beach within a few weeks as we are moving back to the Gold Coast in Australia.

I have never done any hunting on the beach before a couple of weeks ago at Virginia Beach. I just had my Whites Prizm V then and it didn't take long to realize I needed something different, especially when I will be so close to the beach in a few weeks. I just wasn't sure whether the EXcal. was strictly a beach machine or if it could be used elsewhere. I'll probably still take my Prizm with me down there as well. It's been a good machine.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neilo said:
If you mount your Excalibur on a balanced straight shaft you can use it with comfort anywhere. The weight factor is only applicable when the machine is in its original mounting set up which is poorly balanced for land use and is reliant on bouyancy in the water. By mounting it to a balanced shaft set up eg.Bill Babbs shaft, the machine is excellent in both applications. Good luck see ya Neilo ;D

Yes, you are correct. He can also belt mount the guts to make it lighter (thats what I did). I guess I should have included that.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread