Surprise!!! - Update from a button Expert - Holy Cow!! - UPDATE

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Just to put this into perspective with other finds in the area. We found a small camp about 2 miles from this site. We didn't find much but we did find 2 hammered silver English pennies from the 16th century and a Friesland O from 1592. The entire area was overrun by the Spanish in the 1500's. So it may not be Saxon but it can certainly fit in the Medieval period or close.

So I hope this clears up the "Misinformation" as it can certainly be a button from the same time frame or a little earlier. The coins show people from the UK and/or Europe were in the area with items from this period.

That help???

Just got a reply from a button expert. Here is what he says:

[size=13pt]WOW........before I start I have 20+ years metal detecting experience at the top, run club of 130+ members my opinion is....looks like 22-24 carrot gold from the photo, I could be wrong but,, I'm almost certain the decoration looks like Anglo-Saxon punched lines, and ring & dot its defiantly hand made too not mass produced, the concentric rings are a type of Saxon decoration like on the rillington of rimmington gold cup, I've seen before, its been hand punched each and every line... I have seen Saxon metalwork and I'm convinced its medieval in date.I'm an artist myself if its a copy its a amazing bit of work..... I have seen similar shanks which fold to meet each other so to make a loop.. You will need to report it to your nearest museum ASAP, and the best thing you could do show it to a archaeologist ASAP...your looking at thousands if it is Saxon............not joking could I use it for my web site if you want me to use your name I will, but will not if I don't here from you first.......please let me know how your go on, Simon
[/size]

Had a chance yesterday to take a boat ride and do some island hoping just south of Charleston, SC. One place we got to was the site of a plantation mansion that has eroded into the sea. It was a working plantation from around 1800 until way after the civil war. Then the eroding beach got to it and in she goes. The beach is now littered with eye candy - black glass, porcelain shards, Indian pottery (who knows), and bottles - and it is really fun to detect. Problem is, the sea water is not "nice" to the metal objects. Lots of rusted iron blobs, nails, and the buttons are "crusty" to say the least.

After about 2 hours, I had a pouch full of eye candy, some 3 ringers, some pistol balls, some muskets balls, a Connecticut State cuff button, a Connecticut State Coat button, an 1800 P. G. & Old Bristol Black glass wine bottle blob seal. And a handmade, 15mm gold dress button!!!!! Now that was a real surprise. It was the only thing to come off the beach that wasn't corroded to death. Gold is nice. REAL nice.

Daryl

Thanks for voting banner today for the button Woody50. It means a lot.

Attachments

• BlobSeal.jpg
    BlobSeal.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,815
  • GoldButton1.jpg
    GoldButton1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,810
  • GoldButton2.jpg
    GoldButton2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,818
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Surprise!!! - Update from a button Expert - Holy Cow!!

I'll 2nd the banner find idea !! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy: :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH !! :D ;D

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Both exceptional finds :icon_thumleft: that button is beautiful Dd60

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow Daryl, with the new information I guess you are riding the clouds now!

Now its double BANNER for me! (Pity I can't vote twice)

Come ON guys, vote! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:

If the information was correct I would have. Its way off the mark.

Still a very rare find.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
The "expert" referred to the purity of the gold as "carrot"?
And Saxon as Medieval :icon_scratch:

SS

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
plehbah said:
SS
Hi SS, well I though that Saxon and Anglo-Saxon were in England in the Medieval period? Anglo-Saxon from about 400-600, and the Medieval period runs from about the 5th century to the 16th? I could be wrong though.

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Come on guys, don't beat up the messenger. Carat is a correct spelling. As is Karat. Carrot is evidently a typo that the spell check did not catch. He lives and works in London and if, like most Europeans, speaks several languages, things get confused sometimes.

Some companies on the web even have trouble:

http://www.gems4me.com/14kgolcros86.html

14K Gold Cross .86 carot Diamonds

Item#: 1228-CR
Regular Price : $3,500.00
Sale Price : $1,900.00
You Save: 45.71% ($1600)
Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 weeks.
Stock: Yes

Comments? or Contact: [email protected]

As far as time frames, Woody is right. There is overlap and people sometimes miss that.

Just an observation as this guy seems to have been around the block enough to know a heck of a lot more than I do. And just because he misspells a word (or is it mispell?) and sees an overlap in the time of things in Europe in trying to assign it to a named time period, doesn't mean he should be kicked to the curb.

If we start criticizing posts for word spellings and grammar - or is it grammer - then we might just be a little too picky.

Daryl

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
plehbah said:
SS
Hi SS, well I though that Saxon and Anglo-Saxon were in England in the Medieval period? Anglo-Saxon from about 400-600, and the Medieval period runs from about the 5th century to the 16th? I could be wrong though.
They are technically but you never mix the two. Its either early, middle or late Medieval not Saxon. Saxon is a more commonly used timeframe but not what most think to be Medieval which is the late period. So mixing the two makes no sense.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
plehbah said:
SS
The Anglo Saxon period runs from 5thc - 11thc taking in the Viking period, the Medieval period runs from 11th - 15thc, Daryl the buttons a great find :o but the iformation he has given you seems way off :-\

SS

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a nice gold button--and solid early 1800s or late 1700s date. But if it's Saxon, I'll eat my shirt.

-Buck

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
Still a very rare find.
Well Cru, even a button from say the 1800's, in this condition is rare. I also have never found one gold button, and this one is a cracker, even if its not Saxon. I am disappointed at this forum when gold coins always or almost always get a banner, and gold rings too. A gold button is much more difficult to find, I think even an unique find in a metal detectorist's hobby. Why would you not vote then?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
Still a very rare find.
Well Cru, even a button from say the 1800's, in this condition is rare. I also have never found one gold button, and this one is a cracker, even if its not Saxon. I am disappointed at this forum when gold coins always or almost always get a banner, and gold rings too. A gold button is much more difficult to find, I think even an unique find in a metal detectorist's hobby. Why would you not vote then?

I would without the mis-information.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
Still a very rare find.

Yea come on Cru :laughing9: I voted Banner :laughing9: everybody can find Gold coins ::)

SS

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
I agree with you the information seems a little funny, to find something Saxon on a island in the USA. Could happen, but really I don't agree with the man/woman either that it is so old, it does not have the 'very' old feeling, don't know why. But still its a great find, even if it would be from the 20th century. You don't find that every day. But I respect your choice.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I did a negative image of the button back and it clearly shows the maker. It even looks like somebody shot an arrow through the eye!

GoldButton2neg.jpg

Seriously, Saxon or not this is an extremely rare find and banner worthy. My vote is in.

DCMatt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
I agree with you the information seems a little funny, to find something Saxon on a island in the USA. Could happen, but really I don't agree with the man/woman either that it is so old, it does not have the 'very' old feeling, don't know why. But still its a great find, even if it would be from the 20th century. You don't find that every day. But I respect your choice.

Don't get me wrong its a great find. Although I just had someone point out the obivious which I missed. If only 15mm (Tiny, looks big in photo) its more fitting as a cufflink, late 1700s to early 1800s. I agree with this opinion much more than Saxon/Medieval.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread