Surprise!!! - Update from a button Expert - Holy Cow!! - UPDATE

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Just to put this into perspective with other finds in the area. We found a small camp about 2 miles from this site. We didn't find much but we did find 2 hammered silver English pennies from the 16th century and a Friesland O from 1592. The entire area was overrun by the Spanish in the 1500's. So it may not be Saxon but it can certainly fit in the Medieval period or close.

So I hope this clears up the "Misinformation" as it can certainly be a button from the same time frame or a little earlier. The coins show people from the UK and/or Europe were in the area with items from this period.

That help???

Just got a reply from a button expert. Here is what he says:

[size=13pt]WOW........before I start I have 20+ years metal detecting experience at the top, run club of 130+ members my opinion is....looks like 22-24 carrot gold from the photo, I could be wrong but,, I'm almost certain the decoration looks like Anglo-Saxon punched lines, and ring & dot its defiantly hand made too not mass produced, the concentric rings are a type of Saxon decoration like on the rillington of rimmington gold cup, I've seen before, its been hand punched each and every line... I have seen Saxon metalwork and I'm convinced its medieval in date.I'm an artist myself if its a copy its a amazing bit of work..... I have seen similar shanks which fold to meet each other so to make a loop.. You will need to report it to your nearest museum ASAP, and the best thing you could do show it to a archaeologist ASAP...your looking at thousands if it is Saxon............not joking could I use it for my web site if you want me to use your name I will, but will not if I don't here from you first.......please let me know how your go on, Simon
[/size]

Had a chance yesterday to take a boat ride and do some island hoping just south of Charleston, SC. One place we got to was the site of a plantation mansion that has eroded into the sea. It was a working plantation from around 1800 until way after the civil war. Then the eroding beach got to it and in she goes. The beach is now littered with eye candy - black glass, porcelain shards, Indian pottery (who knows), and bottles - and it is really fun to detect. Problem is, the sea water is not "nice" to the metal objects. Lots of rusted iron blobs, nails, and the buttons are "crusty" to say the least.

After about 2 hours, I had a pouch full of eye candy, some 3 ringers, some pistol balls, some muskets balls, a Connecticut State cuff button, a Connecticut State Coat button, an 1800 P. G. & Old Bristol Black glass wine bottle blob seal. And a handmade, 15mm gold dress button!!!!! Now that was a real surprise. It was the only thing to come off the beach that wasn't corroded to death. Gold is nice. REAL nice.

Daryl

Thanks for voting banner today for the button Woody50. It means a lot.

Attachments

• BlobSeal.jpg
    BlobSeal.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,814
  • GoldButton1.jpg
    GoldButton1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,809
  • GoldButton2.jpg
    GoldButton2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,817
Upvote 0

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Surprise!!! - Update from a button Expert - Holy Cow!!

CRUSADER said:
Don't get me wrong its a great find. Although I just had someone point out the obivious which I missed. If only 15mm (Tiny, looks big in photo) its more fitting as a cufflink, late 1700s to early 1800s. I agree with this opinion much more than Saxon/Medieval.
Hmm, you have something there. It could be half of a cufflink, that could also be gold and have such a 'button' loop.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
It is what it is. I just find 'em.

Daryl

It is what it is. You just listen to what you want to hear. :wink:

Either way, it's a beautiful piece of solid gold that anyone would be Honored to dig.

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread