Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Attachments

• Sutter County.jpg
    Sutter County.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 369
S

stefen

Looks like a water tower between the house and barn...picture is obscured.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sorry...its not a water tower...its a tower tho...on the house.....I will try to find a better pic....

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Heres another,but it doesnt really show how the tower is connected to the house...there is a connecting room and porch

Attachments

• sutter.jpg
    sutter.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 283
S

stefen

Typically, the old farm (and grove) houses had a water tank that had a room at its base...used as a store room or bunkhouse.

There was no set rule as to its relative location to the main house. In this case, the tank may have been constructed such that it was in alignment with the sides of the house and was in-filled with additions.

California homes were very organic in that rooms were added or porches were enclosed to become needed bedrooms.

This portion of the structure would be a likely place to investigate. It may have been a bunkhouse, tool storage, work shop or the like.

Water wagons would have been sided for filling. A lot of activity would have been central to this structure.

S

stefen

TreasureTales said:
Well, whatever purpose that tower had, it's not where I'd focus my attention first. I'd look around the front door and the clothes line and the privy. But maybe I'm just weird. :icon_scratch:

Yep! You're just weird ;D

California Grove and Ranch Houses are somewhat different than a typical farm property due to differing activity centers.

As stated, the water tower and bunkhouse / tool storage / work shop is central to all outside activities and, in my opinion, would be the primary focus, with the kiabo being second followed by the rear porch or / wash shed where bathing and clothes washing occurred (I'd look here before I'd look below the clothes line).

The area in front of the house where carriages and vehicles were parked and the wagon shed or barn where the vehicles were stored is another opportunity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread