Bodie

Everything in Bodie is part of the historic scene and is fully protected. NOTHING may be collected or removed from the park. Metal detectors are not allowed.
Designated as a National Historic Site and a State Historic Park in 1962, the remains of Bodie are being preserved in a state of "arrested decay". http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=509
You may wish to call or check in at the onsite Bodie Ranger Station (manned year round) and ask them for the 'off limits' boundary.

Don.......

I know a guy who went to Bodie with a hunting friend, to see just how well "buttoned up" it was. They found that there are motion sensors to detect motion at night, guard dogs, etc.... Simply too buttoned up to try anything stupid. But as they were walking around doing the tourist thing, my friend looks down on the dirt street and sees a dark circle on the ground. He picks it up, and it was a V-nickel! (go figure, the place has never been detected before). They also got some poker chips, and another few V-nickels just by using sticks to ruffle up the loose soil under the steps leading up to saloons and such.

Man, kind of makes you sick eh? If a guy can find stuff just eyeballing, you have to wonder what a detector could do at that place ::)

Tom_in_CA said:
I know a guy who went to Bodie with a hunting friend, to see just how well "buttoned up" it was. They found that there are motion sensors to detect motion at night, guard dogs, etc.... Simply too buttoned up to try anything stupid. But as they were walking around doing the tourist thing, my friend looks down on the dirt street and sees a dark circle on the ground. He picks it up, and it was a V-nickel! (go figure, the place has never been detected before). They also got some poker chips, and another few V-nickels just by using sticks to ruffle up the loose soil under the steps leading up to saloons and such.

Man, kind of makes you sick eh? If a guy can find stuff just eyeballing, you have to wonder what a detector could do at that place ::)

Yeah I know. I first visited Bodie in 1958 and we at that time walked through almost all the buildings. I remember my uncle found a coin but, I can't remember what it was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back