Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AND! As far as I know... FEDS would have NO claim on stuff found in Seminole territory; get "tight" with the Seminole Tribal Council, share what is found with them (WRITTEN on paper & dated, signed, etc). VIDEO-TAPE EVERYTHING.
I am also in touch with an Indian (whom I happen to think is a nice person) and I have given him my word and a handshake that I will keep him informed of any interesting research that I may uncover. He is also reading this thread..

The hunters in the 40s newsclipping believed the last Confederate encampment was in todays Miccosuki lands and they went through a lot of trouble to find the head after spotting it from the air. I truly believe LG Harvey and company knew something that we dont and I want to find out what that is.

Attachments

• swamp gold ghost village relics.jpg
    swamp gold ghost village relics.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
20+ years ago I was not into researching stories, I was being led by someone I trusted that had far more knowledge than me. He seemed to think the gold story on Alligator Alley amounted to 1000 pounds of gold. Although this may seem like a tremendous amount it is well less than a 1 cubic foot square of solid gold. It may have been bars but was very possibly coins. The day that I took my old friend to the site there were two other guys with us that had an old book that also contained the story of the 1000 pounds of gold being buried on the eastern edge of the swamp. The book even gave the approximate location by giving the compass headings from Ft Pierce and Ft Lauderdale. That location is now part of the Miccosukee reservation and as you well know I will be attempting to help recover the possible gold buried there.

"Keeping History Alive"

Did you know the Florida Cracker Trail Association has an annual cross state horse ride in February from Brandenton to Fort Pierce? Florida Cracker Trail Association - Annual Ride

How about we start an annual PVT Lanier ride? :laughing7:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
DYK? Seminole Nation were part of the 5 Civilized Tribes that were "pro-Confederacy"? 1st Battalion Seminole Mounted Volunteers & 1st REGIMENT Seminole Mounted Volunteers. I suspect Cloud Mountain may have GOLD "payment" for the native ppl helping the Rebs during the CONFEDERATE WAR; be GOOD to ask Seminole Tribal Council what THEY know about helping the REBS, during the CONFEDERATE WAR; they HATED the USA. GOOD LUCK & HH!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
BCH,you may find this report entry of interest:
CSA Capt John T Lesley,Fort Meade-(John L)"Whidden known as Cutthroat John and his brother William Whidden with another man did desert the company at Fort Meade when the company was ordered to the BIG CYPRESS".

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BCH-In reference to the Florida Cracker Trail-I grew up in Bradenton. My old neighbor in Parrish leads the ride, I have friends that have done it many times.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The hunters in the 40s newsclipping believed the last Confederate encampment was in todays Miccosuki lands and they went through a lot of trouble to find the head after spotting it from the air. I truly believe LG Harvey and company knew something that we dont and I want to find out what that is.
I would like to know what they meant by "the last Confederate encampment".What Confederates?Rebel-Kgc mentioned John Jumper's CSA detachment that fought with Stand Watie in Texas,was this his last encampment before returning to the Everglades?Could it have been an encampment of Confederate deserters,"Yellownecks",who raided all in their path and hid in the Everglades?Could it be the gold shipment of 1/2 ton of gold that BDD believes at a Cloud Mountain is the last encampment?
Or could it be a embellished account of LG Harvey and company finds by overzealous reporters in the 1940's?
"Last Confederate encampment",what does that mean?

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I want to give you another angle on all this. I think it is very possible that the gold at "Cloud Mountain" was buried by members of the tribe. I am reasonably sure that the tribal member that held ceremonies over the top of where Ovid said the gold was knew the gold was below him. It is no coincidence. It takes no stretch of the imagination to think that the golds location could have been passed down from the elders or tribal members from Civil War times or earlier. If/when we dig it up there may be some way of identifying it especially if it contains coins. I hope to know an answer soon.

There is so much more I know about all this that I will not put on a public forum. When all is said and done we will possibly share the story.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to give you another angle on all this. I think it is very possible that the gold at "Cloud Mountain" was buried by members of the tribe. I am reasonably sure that the tribal member that held ceremonies over the top of where Ovid said the gold was knew the gold was below him. It is no coincidence. It takes no stretch of the imagination to think that the golds location could have been passed down from the elders or tribal members from Civil War times or earlier. If/when we dig it up there may be some way of identifying it especially if it contains coins. I hope to know an answer soon.

There is so much more I know about all this that I will not put on a public forum. When all is said and done we will possibly share the story.
Will you share the story if NOTHING is found? That is the question.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Of course I will. The only way I may not share it on here is if SOMETHING IS found. That is my answer. I will only share it on here if my Miccosukee pal wants me to.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Stand Watie? Gen. Stand Watie, CSA; BIG KGC "guy"... Texas? HOT-BED of Knights of the Golden Circle. "Google" Stan Watie, 1806-1871 Biography Page. MORE on Gen. Stand Watie... LATER.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Gen. Stand Watie was in charge of the REBEL defense of the "Indian Territory", and MAY have used Cloud Mountain in the Everglades on Seminole "land" to hide stuff from yank SUPPLY wagon-trains... hence, what was found per "post" 1183. These REBELS/KGC PROBABLY became Confederados, moving to Texas, then to a conclave in Mexico City, THEN... simply, Outlaws of the WILD West, chased by the FEDS.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Gen. Stand Watie was in charge of the REBEL defense of the "Indian Territory", and MAY have used Cloud Mountain in the Everglades on Seminole "land" to hide stuff from yank SUPPLY wagon-trains... hence, what was found per "post" 1183. These REBELS/KGC PROBABLY became Confederados, moving to Texas, then to a conclave in Mexico City, THEN... simply, Outlaws of the WILD West, chased by the FEDS.

"Post" 1183 is KEY...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I am also in touch with an Indian (whom I happen to think is a nice person) and I have given him my word and a handshake that I will keep him informed of any interesting research that I may uncover. He is also reading this thread..

PROBABLY where the REBS were camping and protecting stolen "assets"; MAYBE, even Gen. Stand Watie's "folks"... DUNNO.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think this exact article has been posted yet- Reading Eagle - Google News Archive Search

Notice William Hill is "William Gill" from post 1183. And it says nothing about a Confederate encampment just an entire abandoned village.

EDIT- I just found this article that was posted by "signal" on reply #616, it does mention Confederates-
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...P9PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iVUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1427,4876723
I like how it mentions it's going to take at least 2 days to penetrate the thick tangle of vines, sawgrass and underbrush.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I don't think this has been posted yet- Reading Eagle - Google News Archive Search

Notice William Hill is "William Gill" from post 1183. And it says nothing about a Confederate encampment just an entire abandoned village.

GREAT additional info for I & R; is Game Warden still alive? Tribal Council info? MAY have started as a REBEL camp, "grew" into a village, with REBELS (PROBABLY native ppl) intermarrying with "locals"; don't think they would flown the "Stars & Bars"... MORE loyal to Tribe.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a guy that supposedly found a wagon wheel 40 miles out in the glades in '77 and says he knows where the island is. - Home - Lost Gold

Course he's looking for $10 donations to his cause in the hunt for the treasure so...

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
How would a wagon get to an island? By boat? In pieces? Then what? Why would they take a wagon to an island?

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In reference to my post with the newspaper article from 1949, it says they found this ghost town 10 miles from US-27 and S.R. 84. If that is accurate, then it may not be Tribal land. It also may not be the encampment. I was under the impression they were more on the west side of the glades more to the north also.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread