Sweet 1917D type II SLQ

rottonr

Aug 17, 2008
Wisconsin
While walking home Wednesday I noticed a big tree dropped at the old school, I burn wood so I had to check it out. Then I seen they had a stump grinder so I made plans to MD that night and am glad I did. The school is 2 blocks away and I was able to get the 8 foot by 8 foot area to last me almost a full 15 min. Got me 2 wheat's and a 1917D type II Standing liberty quarter in F-12 condition.

Because of the lower minting I was hoping it was another 1917D type I for the second one this year but no such luck. I was surprised when looking up the value, even tho they made 6 times as many type II's as type I it was worth more than a type I. Everyone must have saved the type I back in the day and I am glad they did.

I graded this coin F-12 (right or wrong) because the shield rim is complete all the way around. Barely but it works for me. Still waiting for the 1917D type I to get back from the grading service.

The last couple of weeks have been sweet quarter week's for me. Love this sport!!!

Attachments

• Misc. 001.jpg
    Misc. 001.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 801
  • Misc. 002.jpg
    Misc. 002.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 821
Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the SLQ.

Last year I dug a type I and II in the same hole. It was a few inches away from a sidewalk. It seems like most detectorists stay away from sidewalk areas which is fine by me...lol.

HH

NJ

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice SLQ. Glad you stopped to check the place out. :hello2:
-MM-

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU FOUND MY FAVORITE QUARTER!!!! Not joking there.....I love the design. Nothing prettier in U.S. coin history, IMHO.
I found a few, when THing the U.S. Hope you find some more.....wouldn't a date set be nice......:)
And I think your grade of F-12 is good. All lettering can be seen. Rim alllllllllllmost complete.
Good coin. Way to be heads-up for sites. Good hunting in the future.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michaelangelo said:
Beautiful coin-congrats!!
What's the M stamped on the lower right of the front?
that is the designers initial..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread