Sweet 1917D type II SLQ

rottonr

Aug 17, 2008
Wisconsin
While walking home Wednesday I noticed a big tree dropped at the old school, I burn wood so I had to check it out. Then I seen they had a stump grinder so I made plans to MD that night and am glad I did. The school is 2 blocks away and I was able to get the 8 foot by 8 foot area to last me almost a full 15 min. Got me 2 wheat's and a 1917D type II Standing liberty quarter in F-12 condition.

Because of the lower minting I was hoping it was another 1917D type I for the second one this year but no such luck. I was surprised when looking up the value, even tho they made 6 times as many type II's as type I it was worth more than a type I. Everyone must have saved the type I back in the day and I am glad they did.

I graded this coin F-12 (right or wrong) because the shield rim is complete all the way around. Barely but it works for me. Still waiting for the 1917D type I to get back from the grading service.

The last couple of weeks have been sweet quarter week's for me. Love this sport!!!

Attachments

• Misc. 001.jpg
    Misc. 001.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 801
  • Misc. 002.jpg
    Misc. 002.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 821
Upvote 0
Congrats on the SLQ.

Last year I dug a type I and II in the same hole. It was a few inches away from a sidewalk. It seems like most detectorists stay away from sidewalk areas which is fine by me...lol.

HH

NJ

Nice SLQ. Glad you stopped to check the place out. :hello2:
-MM-

YOU FOUND MY FAVORITE QUARTER!!!! Not joking there.....I love the design. Nothing prettier in U.S. coin history, IMHO.
I found a few, when THing the U.S. Hope you find some more.....wouldn't a date set be nice......:)
And I think your grade of F-12 is good. All lettering can be seen. Rim alllllllllllmost complete.
Good coin. Way to be heads-up for sites. Good hunting in the future.

Michaelangelo said:
Beautiful coin-congrats!!
What's the M stamped on the lower right of the front?
that is the designers initial..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back