SWEET find to end the year!!

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites XLT
Today was fun, a little cold, but fun. Last week I was watching the forecast for this week. They were talking temps in the 40's for Tuesday and Wednesday. Since we hadn't had many days and nights with temps in the single digits or lower, I thought maybe Wednesday might be a possibility to do some detecting.

Well Tuesday was a nice day, but today (Wednesday) didn't turn out as nice. It managed to get to 43 degrees, but it was cloudy, misty, and windy. I decided to take the detector with me to work anyway.

Lunch time temp was 39 degrees. I'm going. I had a new area I wanted to try that may get me through the long, cold days ahead if it produced. First area I hunted for about 20 minutes or so, nothing, not even a wheatie. Went across the street and after only about 5 minutes had a good tone about 4 to 5 inches deep. After working to get through the first 4 inches, which was still somewhat frozen, I pulled out the Rosie. :icon_thumright: Sweet! Unfortunately, I nicked the back of it trying to get to it through the hard dirt. Anyways, this gave me a good feeling about the future of this area.

Went back to work and wasn't planning on any more detecting. Well after thinking all afternoon about this new area, I had to go back. I left work at 4:15, temp was now 43 degrees. After wandering around for about 30 to 40 minutes, I had a decent tone that was around 7 inches deep. Now I was excited. After getting through the semi frozen ground, I kept digging deeper. Finally the pinpointer gave a good tone, and I needed to dig deeper and to the side of the hole. Finally, I pulled out some loose dirt and there it was, a silver quarter. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: AWESOME!!

That was enough for me. Grinning ear to ear, I headed back to the car cold, but ecstatic. I now had a 30 minute drive before I knew what I had. When I made it home, I went in and took a picture of it dirty, then headed to the sink. I was hoping for Barber, maybe Seated. You can always hope. What a nice surprise to see it was an 1891 Seated quarter. I couldn't believe it.

I think I'll call the year done for detecting and look to the spring for hopefully some nice finds in this new area.

Big E

Attachments

• IMG_0501 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0501 (Small).JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_0494 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0494 (Small).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_0473 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0473 (Small).JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_0500 (Small).JPG