SWEET find to end the year!!

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites XLT
Today was fun, a little cold, but fun. Last week I was watching the forecast for this week. They were talking temps in the 40's for Tuesday and Wednesday. Since we hadn't had many days and nights with temps in the single digits or lower, I thought maybe Wednesday might be a possibility to do some detecting.

Well Tuesday was a nice day, but today (Wednesday) didn't turn out as nice. It managed to get to 43 degrees, but it was cloudy, misty, and windy. I decided to take the detector with me to work anyway.

Lunch time temp was 39 degrees. I'm going. I had a new area I wanted to try that may get me through the long, cold days ahead if it produced. First area I hunted for about 20 minutes or so, nothing, not even a wheatie. Went across the street and after only about 5 minutes had a good tone about 4 to 5 inches deep. After working to get through the first 4 inches, which was still somewhat frozen, I pulled out the Rosie. :icon_thumright: Sweet! Unfortunately, I nicked the back of it trying to get to it through the hard dirt. Anyways, this gave me a good feeling about the future of this area.

Went back to work and wasn't planning on any more detecting. Well after thinking all afternoon about this new area, I had to go back. I left work at 4:15, temp was now 43 degrees. After wandering around for about 30 to 40 minutes, I had a decent tone that was around 7 inches deep. Now I was excited. After getting through the semi frozen ground, I kept digging deeper. Finally the pinpointer gave a good tone, and I needed to dig deeper and to the side of the hole. Finally, I pulled out some loose dirt and there it was, a silver quarter. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: AWESOME!!

That was enough for me. Grinning ear to ear, I headed back to the car cold, but ecstatic. I now had a 30 minute drive before I knew what I had. When I made it home, I went in and took a picture of it dirty, then headed to the sink. I was hoping for Barber, maybe Seated. You can always hope. What a nice surprise to see it was an 1891 Seated quarter. I couldn't believe it.

I think I'll call the year done for detecting and look to the spring for hopefully some nice finds in this new area.

Big E

Attachments

• IMG_0501 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0501 (Small).JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 991
  • IMG_0494 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0494 (Small).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_0473 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0473 (Small).JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_0500 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0500 (Small).JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 991
  • IMG_0503 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0503 (Small).JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 984
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice seated silver quarter! :notworthy:
I'm debating going out to the Tot Lot tomorrow. :-\
It's a busy park down on Lake Ontario and the temperature
is supposed to warm up to a balmy 35F! :laughing7:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that is a nice surprise, congrats!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
that is sweet E!! nice find for a winter hunt. that persistent nagging feeling that got you back paid off. ;D willy

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful seated...congrats man! :hello2:

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great seated liberty! CONGRATS

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You couldn't ask for a better way to
end this detecting season. Congrats
on your Seated Quarter. :thumbsup:
Gold Nuggets :hello:

leakypipes

Oct 7, 2007
BEAUTIFUL find to end out the season BUT, I thought sure you were going to say that for the next day you had a rental on a jack hammer all lined up. LOL I wish i could lock into a place like that around these parts. Believe me I keep trying. Great find !!! HH

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Big E said:
Went back to work and wasn't planning on any more detecting. Well after thinking all afternoon about this new area, I had to go back.
LOL!

WTG, Emil!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

What a winner that coin is!!!

I know about those Nebraska winds, and hunting in the 40's can feel like the 20's or worse! I'm glad to see your persistence paid off big time! I've yet to find any seated coin, and come to think of it, despite some real cool finds out there, I've never found a silver in Nebraska. What a good way to end the year - if you can resist the temptation to go back out there before Saturday, that is. :)

Outstanding!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way to go on a sweet seated!!!!! MR TUFF

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a beautiful coin. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
ggossage said:
Great job Emil! Nice seated! Great persistence in the frozen ground!
Thanks Greg. I'm not a fan of digging the frozen ground, but for that I'll make an exception.
Big E
Emil
Ray in CA said:
That is sweet indeed! Nice quarter!!

Ray
Thanks Ray.
Emil
Antiquarian said:
Nice seated silver quarter! :notworthy:
I'm debating going out to the Tot Lot tomorrow. :-\
It's a busy park down on Lake Ontario and the temperature
is supposed to warm up to a balmy 35F! :laughing7:
Thanks Antiquarian. 35F isn't too terrible if the wind isn't blowing. :laughing7:
Big E
Emil
TreasureFiend said:
WOW that is a nice surprise, congrats!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Thanks Treasurefiend. It's nice to get a surprise like that every now and then.
Emil

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
dfx willy said:
that is sweet E!! nice find for a winter hunt. that persistent nagging feeling that got you back paid off. ;D willy
Thanks willy! It seems like I'm always trying to get in that one extra hunt.
Emil
Hunter said:
Awesome find! :thumbsup:
Thanks Hunter!
Emil
crazyjarhead said:
Beauty of a seated :thumbsup: Nice score for sure :thumbsup:
Thanks Crazyjarhead. It should help make it to spring. Maybe!!
Emil
sekypaleo said:
That is a beautiful seated...congrats man! :hello2:
Thanks sekypaleo.
Emil
olekyground said:
Great seated liberty! CONGRATS
Thanks olekyground.
Emil
gold nuggets said:
You couldn't ask for a better way to
end this detecting season. Congrats
on your Seated Quarter. :thumbsup:
Gold Nuggets :hello:
Thanks Gold Nuggets. Around here ending the season involves a few months of hanging up the detector. This helps though.
Emil
leakypipes said:
BEAUTIFUL find to end out the season BUT, I thought sure you were going to say that for the next day you had a rental on a jack hammer all lined up. LOL I wish i could lock into a place like that around these parts. Believe me I keep trying. Great find !!! HH
Thanks leakypipes! If I was to go out now that's the way it would be. Calling for -15 to -20 wind chills. I think I'll wait for awhile.
Emil
Kimsdad "Where's MY seated?" said:
Big E said:
Went back to work and wasn't planning on any more detecting. Well after thinking all afternoon about this new area, I had to go back.
LOL!

WTG, Emil!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

What a winner that coin is!!!

I know about those Nebraska winds, and hunting in the 40's can feel like the 20's or worse! I'm glad to see your persistence paid off big time! I've yet to find any seated coin, and come to think of it, despite some real cool finds out there, I've never found a silver in Nebraska. What a good way to end the year - if you can resist the temptation to go back out there before Saturday, that is. :)

Outstanding!
Thanks Neil. You are so right! Although the temp was 43, the wind was blowing 20 to 25mph. Cools it down quite nicely. We'll have to work on that no silver in Nebraska. As far as hunting anymore this year, no. Wind chills -15 to -20 predicted. A little TOO cold.
Emil

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
mud dog (aka) Salty Dog said:
Congrats Big E on the seated,nice way to finish up the year,you have been holding your own with Nash and gang all year long,I hope 2011 finds you healthy,wealthy,your finds fantastic,Dave
Thanks Dave. That should help with the wait until spring, at least for a week or two. Best wishes to you as well for 2011.
Mr Tuff said:
way to go on a sweet seated!!!!! MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread