Sweet piece my buddy just found!!! Hammerstone.

ROCKateer

Aug 3, 2013
Shawnee, KS.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• image-3380821461.jpg
    image-3380821461.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 247
  • image-1587504108.jpg
    image-1587504108.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 220
  • image-1129905115.jpg
    image-1129905115.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 248
  • image-4028348356.jpg
    image-4028348356.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hammer or Grinder looks polished. Congrats

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Justa Rock. I don't see that it has been used to hammer anything.
Boy Quito.... Why let em down so easy? Lol! Honestly, I can see what you guys see. I've gathered many pieces just like this. However, Quito's comment is probably your most honest and sincere. These pieces make great flower beds. They can't be ruled out as artifacts, nor can they be ruled in.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where it was found. If found in water then it could be polished from that, if found in dirt away from a water source then of course it might be something totally different.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it could have been used for a tool of some sort, grinder, polishing stone, mano but I'm no expert at all in the stone tools area. I'm pretty sure a hammer stone would have a groove around one end. I have several items very similar and found one yesterday but I'm not posting them because pics just don't do them justice and I find my stuff in a creek. I wouldn't let the others' posts bother me if I were you, I've seen some people post tools that I swear they look like rocks to me. Was it found in a field or creek? Have other artifacts been found in the same spot?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Depends on where it was found. If found in water then it could be polished from that, if found in dirt away from a water source then of course it might be something totally different.

Right. Like a flood water deposited water polished stone? Just a naturally smooth stone? I find smooth stones in dirt pretty regularly, and the ones that have been used, are usually pretty obvious.

That beat up spot on the piece in question, is not the result of any NA hammering, unless of course it is a paleo piece that washed into the crrek and had the hammering marks water worn down.

Perhaps someone who see's artifact in that picture of the stone can point out what it is they see.

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see a sedimentary rock tumbled and polished by years and years of fast moving water. If found in a place where no such stream exists, or ever did, then you start scratching your head.

Last edited:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Rock, being that it probably depends upon where it was found. We find smooth and polished rocks on some of the sandy knoll prehistoric sites out my way, that certainly did not get there through geological processes, so they pretty much had to be brought there by humans, and the assumption is by prehistoric humans. Often these stones are polished more than just normal creek and river polished stones, this difference in level of polish is often hard to see in a photo, but can be easily felt when in hand. I wish I knew what they were really used for? Some thoughts are that they were "soup stones", heated in a fire, or more likely close to the fire, and then carefully placed into a leather bag or pouch to heat up the food /soup/ stew that was in the bag. The presumption is that they would want to keep the "soup stones" as smooth and clean as they could to keep sand and dirt out of their food, and prevent scratching or damaging the soup pouch. Some of these stones could have been used for many years and become "favorites", and if chips or chunks popped off their soup stones while being heated, they might need to polish down the chips as this stone in question seems to be. All of this is speculation of course, but I think it was a pretty safe bet that prehistoric peoples heated soups and stews long before the introduction of pottery, and a pretty safe bet that the level of polish on these stones are above and beyond what occurs naturally on creek and rivers stones in some locales. JMO

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Parts of the Nile River have moved 5.6 miles in the past 1,000 years.....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parts of the Nile River have moved 5.6 miles in the past 1,000 years.....

it amazes me how you and quito always seem to be in the forum at the same time? Most of the time. I noticed that one day when quito and Gator were disagreeing on a topic not to long ago. I wonder why that is?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
it amazes me how you and quito always seem to be in the forum at the same time? Most of the time. I noticed that one day when quito and Gator were disagreeing on a topic not to long ago. I wonder why that is?

Maybe we are one and the same?! You would think that.......lol.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a rock...

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Your point?

Lol! I think you're over thinking things rock.

Were you gonna point something out on that rock that made you say hammer stone right out of the chute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Trying to share my knowledge with you regarding how bodies of water relocate themselves...coulda just said thanks! FWIW, around 2:30 today I "liked" Quito's posts from YESTERDAY at 6:28 and 10:15 pm respectively. Shortly after that, I posted the Nile River data....just saying. At any rate, this post is drifting....

Nice rock, I would keep it.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Boy Quito.... Why let em down so easy? Lol! Honestly, I can see what you guys see. I've gathered many pieces just like this. However, Quito's comment is probably your most honest and sincere. These pieces make great flower beds. They can't be ruled out as artifacts, nor can they be ruled in.

Without a doubt this piece can be ruled in or out....however, it can't be done on a website. I with you, great for a flower bed....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread