Sword/Dagger guard,some silver - more finds from an early site.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went back to the site where I found a stone gouge and other relics few days ago. Wasn't expecting much as I have already spent around 18 hours on relatively small pottery covered patch of land. Decided to look around more towards the spot I have found the Native stone gouge. Only managed to spend a few hours in the field due to extreme heat but managed to pull a few relics that I believe have justified the hunting trip.

First a very decorative sword or dagger guard (probably the dagger due to the size). A heavy piece which seams to be hand engraved with the image of some type of animal (possibly a fox) on both sides with what looks to be a cross or a flag in the back. An absolutely beautiful relic, just the type I like, unique and very old. Not sure of it's age but would guess to be early to late 1700's I thought at first it might be Hudson Bay Company piece due to the fox and the flag (which would possibly make it a Fur trade artifact) but couldn't find anything similar online. So might be just a piece of an early hunting dagger.

DSC_1285.JPG DSC_1289.JPG DSC_1287.JPG DSC_1290.JPG

Also a beautiful silver layered button (first one for me). Seems to be very old as well. You can see how thick the silver part is as if it was done from two pieces.

DSC_1294.JPG DSC_1305.JPG DSC_1307.JPG

Than found an unusual piece of silver. Pretty large one.

DSC_1308.JPG DSC_1309.JPG DSC_1310.JPG

Thanks to the the help from I.P. managed to identify it. It's a mouth piece from silver Bosun whistle. Similar to this one.
bosun whistle.jpg

Also managed a copper brooch and a few decorative buttons.

DSC_1313.jpg

A nice little hunt!

Upvote 20

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A VERY nice little hunt!! Wow, what a bunch of awesome relics, I don't know which one I like best they're all so nice...also, congrats on that stone gouge your hunt before last...that was a real mind blower! Thx...Ddf

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a magnificent set of finds. That dagger guard is the winner to me. I've been staring at it for a good ten minutes and it's completely absorbed me. I did a side by side and I think there is a fox and a bear? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495072044.337058.jpg

Now I'm just talking out of my arse a little, but I have a couple ideas. It looks crudely cast, which leads me to think it was cast in the new world. It certainly lacks the refinement of English or French makers. My guess would be the earlier part of the 18th century, but that's pure speculation. I like your broad dating though since it's a sure bet. I also really like the bosuns whistle bit - it hits close to home since I'm a merchant Captain. Perhaps cut for trade silver? Anywho.

Great buttons and successful hunt. Thanks for posting those great finds. Cheers

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece, I imagine the animal head in front of the cross is a crude version of the families Coat of Arms.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice finds, always exciting to find something that brings the imagination up, something out of the norm. congrats

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DΓ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great lil hunt! :occasion14:
Some cool Silver you found there!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been casually trying to get more info on the guard, which I think best matches a stiletto in terms of a blade style that fits. Totally out of my league as I've never found such a thing, but my intuition still also makes me think this piece is very early...perhaps more in the range of your Avatar? Maybe just wishful thinking...but regardless, a museum piece.

That bosun's whistle kills me! I started with musical instrument and didn't get far.

Cheers, wishing you more hunts like these in the near future! ; )

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A VERY nice little hunt!! Wow, what a bunch of awesome relics, I don't know which one I like best they're all so nice...also, congrats on that stone gouge your hunt before last...that was a real mind blower! Thx...Ddf

Thank you! Yes the gouge was a great relic. Haven't found any Native American stone tools for a while so was due.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm a die hard coin shooter but those finds are fantastic. I do like finding neat relics and those would have me on a serious high. Grats to ya and thanks for sharing.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ornate finds. How IP id'd that whistle is beyond comprehension but he nailed it. Congrats on a great hunt

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a magnificent set of finds. That dagger guard is the winner to me. I've been staring at it for a good ten minutes and it's completely absorbed me. I did a side by side and I think there is a fox and a bear? View attachment 1452477

Now I'm just talking out of my arse a little, but I have a couple ideas. It looks crudely cast, which leads me to think it was cast in the new world. It certainly lacks the refinement of English or French makers. My guess would be the earlier part of the 18th century, but that's pure speculation. I like your broad dating though since it's a sure bet. I also really like the bosuns whistle bit - it hits close to home since I'm a merchant Captain. Perhaps cut for trade silver? Anywho.

Great buttons and successful hunt. Thanks for posting those great finds. Cheers

Thank you for the comment and for a clearer pic. Yes, my guess was a New World made item as well. It's very crudely made and seems hand engraved contrary to the similar item I have seen from French or British makers. One of the reasons I first though it was a Fur trade item. Very glad to have found this one!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice piece, I imagine the animal head in front of the cross is a crude version of the families Coat of Arms.

Thank you. It's very possible. Never considered it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread