Sword/Dagger guard,some silver - more finds from an early site.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went back to the site where I found a stone gouge and other relics few days ago. Wasn't expecting much as I have already spent around 18 hours on relatively small pottery covered patch of land. Decided to look around more towards the spot I have found the Native stone gouge. Only managed to spend a few hours in the field due to extreme heat but managed to pull a few relics that I believe have justified the hunting trip.

First a very decorative sword or dagger guard (probably the dagger due to the size). A heavy piece which seams to be hand engraved with the image of some type of animal (possibly a fox) on both sides with what looks to be a cross or a flag in the back. An absolutely beautiful relic, just the type I like, unique and very old. Not sure of it's age but would guess to be early to late 1700's I thought at first it might be Hudson Bay Company piece due to the fox and the flag (which would possibly make it a Fur trade artifact) but couldn't find anything similar online. So might be just a piece of an early hunting dagger.

DSC_1285.JPG DSC_1289.JPG DSC_1287.JPG DSC_1290.JPG

Also a beautiful silver layered button (first one for me). Seems to be very old as well. You can see how thick the silver part is as if it was done from two pieces.

DSC_1294.JPG DSC_1305.JPG DSC_1307.JPG

Than found an unusual piece of silver. Pretty large one.

DSC_1308.JPG DSC_1309.JPG DSC_1310.JPG

Thanks to the the help from I.P. managed to identify it. It's a mouth piece from silver Bosun whistle. Similar to this one.
bosun whistle.jpg

Also managed a copper brooch and a few decorative buttons.

DSC_1313.jpg

A nice little hunt!

Upvote 20
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been casually trying to get more info on the guard, which I think best matches a stiletto in terms of a blade style that fits. Totally out of my league as I've never found such a thing, but my intuition still also makes me think this piece is very early...perhaps more in the range of your Avatar? Maybe just wishful thinking...but regardless, a museum piece.

That bosun's whistle kills me! I started with musical instrument and didn't get far.

Cheers, wishing you more hunts like these in the near future! ; )

Thank you Ken.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a die hard coin shooter but those finds are fantastic. I do like finding neat relics and those would have me on a serious high. Grats to ya and thanks for sharing.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful ornate finds. How IP id'd that whistle is beyond comprehension but he nailed it. Congrats on a great hunt

Thank you. I have no idea how he did it but I guess he has his tricks

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the silver button, very unique. Really old collection of cool finds. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread