Sword ID - Ottoman Empire German style WW1 Saber

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!

I am not a collector – I would just like some help with an identification. My father-in-law is from the UK and has a sword that has been passed down from his grandfather who fought in Germany circa WW1. We are not interested in selling it, and are more interested in its origin than its value. I have tried google and have only found two similar swords and cannot find the maker by the mark on the blade. I have photos posted on photobucket.com and will link below. Here's the nutshell version:

General Notes:
1. Maker's mark on blade underneath the side of the hilt with the shield carving – the mark is an oval with corrugated edges with the letter S above the letters HVJ in a serif font
2. Sword is not a replica, has been in family since approximately WW1 era
3. Very slightly curved saber shape
4. Silver colored blade is etched from the hilt to about halfway down, and from about the middle to the point is shiny
5. Blade does not look sharpened, and is etched with floral motif on the top edge also
6. Hilt is a brassy color, contains crescent moons and both 5 and 6 pointed star carvings, a blank shield shape, tulip motifs, and a lion head with his tongue out on the cross guard
7. Pommel has the crescent moon and 6-pointed star but appears a brighter gold color in a circle dead center of the insignia
8. Grip is some kind of blackish hide, with an almost lizard-scale texture, held in place with twisted, textured wires
9. Scabbard is plain dark metal with a brassy colored hanging ring

Motifs:
1. Crescent moon and star (both 5 and 6 points) carvings on side of hilt and top of pommel
2. Blank shield or crest on one side of hilt
3. Lion head on cross guard
4. Tulip carvings on hilt
5. Blade etched with:
1. Collections of crossed swords
2. Battle axes/pole arms
3. Banners with no discernible country origin
4. Knight's head in plate mail armor
5. Shield with 6-pointed star
6. Crossed pair of lances? Not sure what these items are
7. Drum with zig-zag pattern
8. Floral filigree motif
9. No words or numbers in any language can be found (by me, anyway)

My guesses:
1. Ottoman empire probably, but doesn't look Turkish made
2. Appears to be of German origin – maybe issued to a Turkish/German soldier
3. Appears to be more of a military item than a gift for a high ranking official
4. Seems well used, unless the family has just spent too much time handling it

Photos are all as high res as I could post – link is at photobucket at Sword Photos by commiegirl64 | Photobucket and just a note that my commiegirl username is just a reference to Commodore 64 computers, not the cold war :)

Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you see the photos at the link to photobucket in my post? You have to click each photo at photobucket to see more than the preview in the album. It's at Sword Photos by commiegirl64 | Photobucket. There are i think 32 photos there and here are just a couple directly:

1 Sword Scabbard Crescent Side.jpg
3 Hilt Crescent Side.jpg
4 Hilt Shield Side.jpg
15 Makers Mark Drawing.jpg
14 Makers Mark Closeup.jpg

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not well versed in Turkish militaria of that era, but here's my thoughts..... I think what you have is a German made private purchase sword modeled after the Bavarian pattern swords of the era. I can't find that makers mark in any of the online data bases I've looked through which has me wondering whose it is.... It's definitely European because Turkish made swords would have been marked in Arabic. It's a neat sword for sure, and hopefully someone will be able to confirm what it is for certain

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you NOLA_Ken for the input! I am excited to think it's privately commissioned and not mass produced.

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't ID your sword, but the sword guard tells me the age is very close to correct. I have a former WWI officers sword that was given to me by the officer years ago, and it has the same shape of guard on it.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I beleve the marks on the blade are illustrated upside down from how they should be oriented, or at least all the ones I've had and recall seeing have the marks the opposite way.
also, Is it possible there are additional marks closer to the grip?... It may be just some scuffs tricking my eyes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks duggap - the only other two swords I've seen that have 1. crescent moon/star, 2. blank shield and 3. lion on the crossguard but not the pommel, have been WW1 German/Turkish Ottoman connected. Thanks for the confirmation because i'm coming up with little else!

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you sure it's not a lodge sword? The cresent and star are Shriner symbols, but I'm not a Shriner, so can't say for sure, just a swag. ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it's not a lodge sword? The cresent and star are Shriner symbols, but I'm not a Shriner, so can't say for sure, just a swag. ???

I'm positive it's not Masonic - that was my first thought too! I saw tons of Knights Templar and other Masonic swords, and nothing came close. They all seemed to have knight heads on the pommels and Christian symbolism along with the moon/star. When my niece told me she was guessing Ottoman/German, I started to finally see the right style stuff. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beleve the marks on the blade are illustrated upside down from how they should be oriented, or at least all the ones I've had and recall seeing have the marks the opposite way.
also, Is it possible there are additional marks closer to the grip?... It may be just some scuffs tricking my eyes

Actually there are tons of scuffs and dust bunnies, and i had to clean a coating of dust off the maker's mark with some dry cloth after my niece noticed there was something inside the hilt. The post-it note with my drawing is oriented exactly next to the hilt the way the mark is oriented inside the blank shield carving on the hilt. I have googled SHVJ and HVJ and combinations thereof, with no success. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
What I meant was that you are reading it upside down, that the S is on the bottom. The makers name is most usually read as you were holding the sword by the handle and looking at the blade.

added: I think it's likely that the S is for Solingen

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woo - Solingen sure pulls up some perfect looking photos... Back to the magnifying glass... Thank you again!

Edit: Tried all evening and can't find anything...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I meant was that you are reading it upside down, that the S is on the bottom. The makers name is most usually read as you were holding the sword by the handle and looking at the blade.

added: I think it's likely that the S is for Solingen

AAAAAHHHHH!!! Could it be FAH above an S, rather than what I saw as HVJ below an S? Look what I found:

F.A.H.: Friedr. Herder Abr. Sohn. Note:
sometimes found above ‘S’ for ‘Solingen’.

YES - edited, here's a link showing the mark without the S. A bit down the page you see a sword with the FAH inside the fancy oval, and also see the mark drawn with other depictions of marks. http://monarchiahadiipar.hupont.hu/5/bajonett-gyartok

Thank you nhbenz!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, no wonder I couldn't find the maker.... I found conflicting reports about whether the company is still around, but it would be interesting to see if there is a listing of their marks with the dates they were used. I'm sure there is somewhere, but it's a matter of figuring out who has it. If you could find someone on a sword or knife collectors forum, or a militaria forum with a list like that you could get a date range for your sword

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, no wonder I couldn't find the maker.... I found conflicting reports about whether the company is still around, but it would be interesting to see if there is a listing of their marks with the dates they were used. I'm sure there is somewhere, but it's a matter of figuring out who has it. If you could find someone on a sword or knife collectors forum, or a militaria forum with a list like that you could get a date range for your sword

No doubt! If I hadn't have given you the mark upside down, you might have been better off - that really weird boxy letter J was an F lol! Here's the site: http://www.herder-solingen.de/
I actually tried emailing the manufacturer for ID or some resources that might help. Also cross posting on swordforums.com when i get approved. Thank you again for your help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a lot like this one without the lion's head though. Turkish 1890’s Senior Infantry Officer’s Sword-
Ottoman Turkish C.1890's Senior Infantry Officer's Sword

Thanks - that is the closest that I have seen yet, though it has the awesome lion pommel with red eyes. Fish skin grip? Sure looks similar, sounds gross, but I can't figure out what kind of hide would be black with a scaly look like this...

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a lot like this one without the lion's head though. Turkish 1890’s Senior Infantry Officer’s Sword-
Ottoman Turkish C.1890's Senior Infantry Officer's Sword

Thanks - that is the closest that I have seen yet, though it has the awesome lion pommel with red eyes. Fish skin grip? Sure looks similar, sounds gross, but I can't figure out what kind of hide would be black with a scaly look like this...
Probably shark skin, not uncommon back then.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions