Sword ID - Ottoman Empire German style WW1 Saber

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!

I am not a collector – I would just like some help with an identification. My father-in-law is from the UK and has a sword that has been passed down from his grandfather who fought in Germany circa WW1. We are not interested in selling it, and are more interested in its origin than its value. I have tried google and have only found two similar swords and cannot find the maker by the mark on the blade. I have photos posted on photobucket.com and will link below. Here's the nutshell version:

General Notes:
1. Maker's mark on blade underneath the side of the hilt with the shield carving – the mark is an oval with corrugated edges with the letter S above the letters HVJ in a serif font
2. Sword is not a replica, has been in family since approximately WW1 era
3. Very slightly curved saber shape
4. Silver colored blade is etched from the hilt to about halfway down, and from about the middle to the point is shiny
5. Blade does not look sharpened, and is etched with floral motif on the top edge also
6. Hilt is a brassy color, contains crescent moons and both 5 and 6 pointed star carvings, a blank shield shape, tulip motifs, and a lion head with his tongue out on the cross guard
7. Pommel has the crescent moon and 6-pointed star but appears a brighter gold color in a circle dead center of the insignia
8. Grip is some kind of blackish hide, with an almost lizard-scale texture, held in place with twisted, textured wires
9. Scabbard is plain dark metal with a brassy colored hanging ring

Motifs:
1. Crescent moon and star (both 5 and 6 points) carvings on side of hilt and top of pommel
2. Blank shield or crest on one side of hilt
3. Lion head on cross guard
4. Tulip carvings on hilt
5. Blade etched with:
1. Collections of crossed swords
2. Battle axes/pole arms
3. Banners with no discernible country origin
4. Knight's head in plate mail armor
5. Shield with 6-pointed star
6. Crossed pair of lances? Not sure what these items are
7. Drum with zig-zag pattern
8. Floral filigree motif
9. No words or numbers in any language can be found (by me, anyway)

My guesses:
1. Ottoman empire probably, but doesn't look Turkish made
2. Appears to be of German origin – maybe issued to a Turkish/German soldier
3. Appears to be more of a military item than a gift for a high ranking official
4. Seems well used, unless the family has just spent too much time handling it

Photos are all as high res as I could post – link is at photobucket at Sword Photos by commiegirl64 | Photobucket and just a note that my commiegirl username is just a reference to Commodore 64 computers, not the cold war :)

Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
L

lvbeads

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread