Sword pommel, dagger cross-guard and other relics.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, despite the constant thunderstorms managed to get out for a few short hunts on the week end. Here are some of the finds.

Got my very first sword pommel. Was extremely deep but I managed to pull it from under the roots. A very solid and heavy piece.

DSC_1623.JPG
DSC_1620.JPG
DSC_1619.JPG
DSC_1621.JPG

An other dagger or sword cross-guard. Very similar in size to my last one ( http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/541626-sword-dagger-guard-some-silver-more-finds-early-site.html) but the motif is cast rather than carved. My previous guard had a fox head as a design this one seems to have three beavers on each side (unless I'm seing things).

DSC_1633.JPG
DSC_1636b.jpg
DSC_1639.jpg
DSC_1640.JPG
DSC_1641.jpg

A very unusual iron tool that looks like an iron spurtle. Feels very old. Found not far from my trade axe so might be fur trade related as well. Despite it's age it's well preserved which is unsurprising knowing the conservation state of other iron relics from this site.

DSC_1609.jpg
DSC_1610.JPG
DSC_1611.JPG
DSC_1613.JPG
DSC_1614.JPG

A beautiful musket flint. Obviously dropped and in a perfect unused condition. Never found one before that small.

DSC_1629.JPG
DSC_1630.JPG

And I'm not sure what it is item. Thought at first it might be a broken iron arrowhead but had some interesting suggestions from other members of the forum saying it might have been a musket or pistol related.Since I have found an iron pistol butt stock a few feet away it sure is possible.

DSC_1615.JPG
DSC_1616.JPG
DSC_1617.JPG

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 22
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you've hit the jackpot as far as weaponry related artifacts are concerned. Love that pommel!!

Yes I think I was lucky to find both of them on the same week end. A few feet apart but doesn't look like from the same weapon.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats! That site gives a bunch of nice relics. Like that petrified sea horse too. Looks also like a furniture decoration broken at the mounting hole. Sea horse is rather to the point. :tongue3:

Thank you. Not sure what this item is.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep right in front of me lol. Gorgeous flints jumping out of the dirt into Steve's hands. Those are some crazy nice relics that most will never recover my friend. That flint is awesome. I've only dug one and I love that thing

Thanks man. I'm actually still very happy when I recover one of those. I'm never sure if I should post them or not as I have seen people find dozens of them. Only found 4 so far, all pretty different in color and size.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep right in front of me lol. Gorgeous flints jumping out of the dirt into Steve's hands. Those are some crazy nice relics that most will never recover my friend. That flint is awesome. I've only dug one and I love that thing
Gunflints are not so hard to find if you are in a plowed field that held an early military encampment LOL. However yours is perfect. Most of these were wore out and discarded.

Attachments

• gunflints.jpg.JPG
    gunflints.jpg.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gunflints are not so hard to find if you are in a plowed field that held an early military encampment LOL. However yours is perfect. Most of these were wore out and discarded.

According to I.N Hume book you can actually ID the age and provenance of the flints which is really cool. It might indicate the time period certain sites were settled.

20170712_082418.jpg
20170712_082457.jpg
20170712_082350.jpg
20170712_083448.jpg

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once again,very original relic finds.
Nice going Anton

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pommel + cross guard = killer colonial period finds!!!!! :notworthy: Congrats to you. You're digging up some great history - keep it coming!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great saves from the bush two great examples of what we all crave to be digging, old.
The "spurtle item" has me wondering if it was more woodworking tool related.
The flint is just beautiful, congrats on getting such a prime piece.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great saves from the bush two great examples of what we all crave to be digging, old.
The "spurtle item" has me wondering if it was more woodworking tool related.
The flint is just beautiful, congrats on getting such a prime piece.

Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread