😋 Tacos, my Treasure today 😋

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. According to my friends, pequin means little in Spanish. Any little pepper gets lumped into that category. Like “sandwich” in English. It is a general category; lots of different choices. Same with pequin. These are the official chiltepins. Verified by friends who came from “Del Rio” TX.
I remember when I was a kid living in the RGV in Texas…We had some chili plants growing around our house that looked like miniature jalapeños…They were about the size of pequinés…My grandmother used to make the best salsa in her molcajete using them…On one of my last trips to Mission I brought some back…But I could not get them to grow though…Maybe one day I just might make another trip down there…

Ed T

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+

Here is an example of a grinder I am going to buy on my next trip…I don’t think it will be one with a donkey head though…

Ed T

I whittle these little people on longer shafts for grinding spices, peppers, etc. They are untreated and the paint is safe. I’ve crushed a lot of chiltepins with this little guy. If you want, I’ll make one and send it to you. Send me your address on a IM Conversation. If you don’t want to share your address, I understand. Either way, thanks for sharing stories.

Attachments

• IMG_1419.jpeg
    IMG_1419.jpeg
    698.8 KB · Views: 11

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I whittle these little people on longer shafts for grinding spices, peppers, etc. They are untreated and the paint is safe. I’ve crushed a lot of chiltepins with this little guy. If you want, I’ll make one and send it to you. Send me your address on a IM Conversation. If you don’t want to share your address, I understand. Either way, thanks for sharing stories.
Thanks for the offer Blackfoot…But I will pass on your offer…I think I do a pretty good job using my fingers…I still believe I will pick one up in Mexico on my next trip… I think they were pretty cheap the last time I was down there…But that was a while ago… And the dollar was doing much better…

Ed T

Attachments

• IMG_1119.png
    IMG_1119.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 8

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Thanks for the offer Blackfoot…But I will pass on your offer…I think I do a pretty good job using my fingers…I still believe I will pick one up in Mexico on my next trip… I think they were pretty cheap the last time I was down there…But that was a while ago… And the dollar was doing much better…

Ed T
I understand….completely

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Barbacoa! O.K.!
A renter of a former neighbors property used to cook in the ground , cow heads...
I was supposed to be keeping an eye on the place , so the renter acted like we should get along well.
A part of a steel drum over the top and dirt over that. And a heavy blanket over that.
Or was it steel , blanket ,then dirt? Seems the blanket would scorch touching hot steel..Even without enough air. Maybe it was dirt over blanket though. Ya. Keep things dirt free when lifting steel off foil wrapped head in coals. But dirt sealing things up good after blanketing. Cripes , stay away from my good wool blankets then!
(May have been some beer involved I tried to help with too much. A little.)

His kind wife would hand me tacos easy on the chilies and easy on the brains.
He had some friends she didn't like , and prepared thier tacos differently.
I made it a point to be polite to her...
One day he was arrested and she went back to Mexico quickly with all the children.
I missed thier hospitality ! And was surprised what he had been up to. He kept matters quiet and away from his rental /my eyes though.
some good stories about U.S. Mexico events.
Like taking certain breed horses there to race (and wager on) before they were well recognized /understood .
I didn't ask what happened to nonwinning ; or more at risk of ending up cooked into tacos damaged horses...

Now I'm more hungry than I was..
I have some small flour tortillas. And leftover crock pot chicken.
A start.

Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+

These are the ones I am talking about…I don’t think they are pequinés…I have been unsuccessful at getting them to sprout from seeds…They are chiltepin…

Ed T

It depends how they were dried. Mine dry naturally. If heat is used to dry them, it can kill the seed for germination.

OP
OP
Jorgeke

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
A friend gave me a tiny plant in 2009. I still have it: 14 years olds. I start new plants from seeds every few years to keep the strain alive. The attached photo is as follows: (left to right) 14 year old original plant, 2 that were started from seed indoors this February. I always heard the bird thing too. Must be a story from uña esposa vieja. Old wive’s tale. If you look closely, the far right plant is flowering.
Nice and healthy 14 years old plant

Congrats

Here is a photo of my Carolina Reaper plant.

Attachments

• 6D735C46-B107-44D0-9C69-334058580BCC.jpeg
    6D735C46-B107-44D0-9C69-334058580BCC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • D571447A-9E5D-4560-A2E5-46643DCED2E2.jpeg
    D571447A-9E5D-4560-A2E5-46643DCED2E2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything my wife Maria cooks, which by default is Mexican food. She ran a restaurant in Mexico for 10 years. When we stop at different Mexican restaurants, I always order carne asada, cause it's different at each one. I took her to a big time Tex-Mex place in Oklahoma once, and that didn't go over well. The waitress asked if there was a problem and I told her no, it was fine for what it was, but it was not 'Mexican' style of preparation. My #2 combination platter was fine. She did like the sopapillas as she'd never heard of those before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread