TAKE OF THE LAKE - WINTER DRAW DOWN

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
I spent an enjoyable 2 hours at a local lake. For those of us not set up for shallow water hunting the winter draw down is our one shot at some usually unavailable hunting ground. I filled my pouch will broken glass and trash since I was invited to hunt this property and allowed to pack in their driveway. This is private property but I found evidence of another hunter. Yep, holes unfilled and the trash targets plunked back down. I understand that the water will erase all soon enough but it takes so little time to make right as you go. Filled and fixed what I could especially since it will seem that I was the slob when the owner takes a walk by the shore. The finds for today were varied and somewhat interesting. My favorite item is the copper arrow head pin. It reads 30-TH ANNIVERSARY 1901 - 1931 and was made by the Metal Arts Co. The Buffalo is a 1936-P and is my first attempt at running a nickel through some "lite" electrolysis. I had realistic expectations as to what the stripped coin surface would look like and was pleased. The pendant is religious and reads "SACRED HEART OF JESUS". The small ring is copper and very intrecate. It looks like it is quiet old and must have been beautiful in the day. The big ring, I found after some cleaning, reads 14K and caused some excitement until further cleaning revealed 14K S S. Crap, PLATE, and it fit my finger as well. The initials are R.H. The chipped button is pewter (?). HH chris

Attachments

• IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 737
  • TN21.jpg
    TN21.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 735
  • TN23.jpg
    TN23.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 728
  • TN25.jpg
    TN25.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 732
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
CB,

nice group of finds

On the far left, 1st photo,
Is that green/brown thing elastic or metal?

have a good un...............

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really neat finds, and in only two hours! Awesome!

Nana :)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Great finds. I am hoping to get some lake hunting in soon as well. Just hope everyone has not beat me to it. Perhaps they have since its spots where lots of houseboats are normally sitting before they drain.

Rev

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice variety of find's....Like the arrowhead item....Thank's for sharin',I'm sure there will be more...HH!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
looks like a great place to hunt. nice stuff!

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
What made you think a ring marked 14K S S. is Crap PLATE?

Could just be the makers mark
Marks for plate are: GF, GP, HGE

HH G_P

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Superb assortment of finds, congrats and best of luck to you when you get back there.
There must be some gold or silver there waiting for you. Go get it.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Cobalt*Blue

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Sherm. On first photo, far left, the item is copper and look like a homemade heavy gauge bracelet w/clasp to attach pendant or charm. Then again maybe not? chris

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Cobalt,

Great finds, man! I need to ask your advice about the electrolysis procedure used on the buff. I found my first a few days ago, and I'm dyin' cause I can't read a date!

Tried peroxide soaks, which has helped some, but mine still looks like a lump of rust.

Please help!

Mountainplayer

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

Love the little arrowhead.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Cobalt*Blue

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mountain player. I'm new to the Electrolysis game but will try to help. I use a 3 volt power source (low) and only cook for a few minutes at a time. Baking Soda is used as the electrolite. I have to tell you that this method is no miracle cure to most corroded coins. The decision you make can leave a bad coin more ugly than you can imagine. Some times there is detail waiting to be uncovered an other times you remove the top layer of the coin and find a slug. There are guides to setting up a little electrolysis tank here on this form and all over the net. Please think it over really well before you try it on something so special as a first type find. chris

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad....not bad at all

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Cobalt,

Thanks for the advice and the caution, I really appreciate it. I don't know what do do here... possibly know the date at the risk of destroying the coin. The same night I found it, I also found a 1940 Walker that must have been just a few inches below where someone decided to burn their yard debris. I think the site must be smack dab in the middle of the circle of evil.

MP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread