Take THAT Mr.Smug !! 3rd Silver of the Year is a Barber ....

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Had to go through the Old part of Hattiesburg this morning & on the way spotted another detectorist doing a turn of the century property where an old house was recently torn down. I decided to stop by to say Hello and see if he had any luck. I know that this property had been hunted HEAVILY in the past,( partly by me ).

So I pull up, get out of the car & hobble over to Mr.Wonderfull & asked him "Any Luck today" ? "Naw, this place has been hunted to DEATH, there is nothing left to find". I ask him if he would mind if I gave it a few minutes myself with my detector. He asks what kind I have, & I tell him that I had an Ace250 in the trunk for such an occasion. He LAUGHS out loud & says " If there ain't nothing left here after using my DFX, you are just wasting your time with a cheap Garrett" ::)

( Ever figure out that the best way to get someone to do something is to tell them they CAN'T do it ?? >:( )

I answered that "You might be right, but it is my time to waste, if you don't mind me being here." I privately thought that if this guy were any more full of himself, he would go by the name of Barry Bonds. I NEVER wanted to find something as much as I did THIS time !! ;)

He said "Go for it". I went over to the old grass strip between the street & the sidewalk, & used a slow diaginal hunt pattern that I figured was not used much in the past here by the "Experts" such as this one. He just smiled & went on searching with his own machine.

About 10 minutes go by and I get a nice "Bong". ( You Ace250 users KNOW that sound ) It's easy digging thanks in part to a MONSTER storm that came through here last night. About 4-5 inches down, look what comes up just in time for Mr. Smug to see as he comes over. You could tell by his face that he ain't too Happy about it. You could tell by mine that I AM. :D :D :D

I pocketed the 1914-D Barber dime, said "Sorry" & left feeling like I had proven something to someone who was in need of it.

07tn002.jpg

07tn007a.jpg

Upvote 0

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1
Oh the sweet taste of, "IN YOUR FACE", to make your day! Amazing how some people just have no manners what so ever.

Congrats

Ted

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
BOO-YA !! I'd put that coin on a necklace(WITHOUT putting a hole in it), because that has to be the sweetest coin dug in a while.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I'm still grinning after reading that...ha! ;D

Those little ace250s are pretty darn good machines for the price. I bought one for my wife this year. I'm impressed with it.

Laird

Dec 30, 2006
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
great story ;D i took up this hobby last year with a ace150. i thought it was a great machine. i found some crackin stuff with it. i took it on holiday with me and over the 2 weeks beach tectin i pulled 178 coins 1 gold ring and 2 brooches. nuff said. i use a DFX now and my wee Garrett as a backup.

so well done i bet the guy was as sick as a parrot

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice find,

It's all about the user and the location. Give me the cheapest machine and I'll still make great finds. The ace 250 is a really good detector.

Anyone who knocks it just doesn't really know. I have a dfx and I am a master on it. I can teach anyone to use one well. My Dad, Has a ace 250. I found treasure with the ace the first day it came out of the box.

HH Jer

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ding ding - ding ding! love the sound of silver!

HH

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done yank!! I wonder if we will see a DFX for sale on ebay tonight.............

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Sounds like he needed a reality check...........even with the best detector, it is impossible to cover every little inch at every little angle. Hunted to death, hunted out, dried out, etc. is BS in my opinion. Good going with the 250!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Nice find. Nice write up.

Reminds me of a heavily hunted park where an old guy who lives on the park comes out and tells us we are basically wasting our time. In our case he was just trying to save us some time. We pulled about 9 more silver from that park just this year.

The ACE 250 is no slouch. Now if it were one of them $50 BH's that my brother in law got his kid for christmas, well then.....But you never know.

Mirage

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I've done quite well with my ACE250.
11-4hunt 006.jpg

I think that it's as good as many machines costing much more.

Attachments

• 11-4hunt 006.jpg
    11-4hunt 006.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 340

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread