eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After much debate I have decided on purchasing an Excal. I have watched numerous videos and read as much as I can about the Excal and 3 other machines. That being said, what would be your top tips for getting started at the beach. I will be searching the OBX, not in the Hatteras Nat. Seashore area for those that would be concerned. Been going there for years so I know the boundries.

Thanks much and HH,
habs

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best advice would be to read thru the archives of this and other forums (do a search on Excal). Everything we could tell you will be there.
Good Luck!

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tip #1

HAVE FUN!

We often get all caught up in things and make it too complicated and forget to enjoy just getting out.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal. Great machine that you can literally take a plunge with. Best thing you can do is rack up swing hours with it to ingrain the muscle memory of tone vs. target. For me, an Anderson straight shaft works bbetter than the stock shaft, and get a decent heavy duty water scoop. And yes, have fun.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My settings are: Disc 1, Sens auto or just off auto depending on mineralization, Volume max, Threshold wherever it's comfortable, and hunt in Pin Point for max depth. Switch over to Disc to eliminate iron. As mentioned, a straight shaft is much more comfortable. If yours is a new machine, other mods will have to wait until it's out of warranty or have Kellyco do the mods. Mine have improved headphones, aftermarket knobs, BIG coils, and best mod of all.......the remote pin point switch on the handle. Dig everything that doesn't grunt a solid iron null sound.....unless you like digging iron! But then you bought the Excal to eliminate digging iron, right? :laughing7:

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing tons of reading, it will continue!!

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My settings are: Disc 1, Sens auto or just off auto depending on mineralization, Volume max, Threshold wherever it's comfortable, and hunt in Pin Point for max depth. Switch over to Disc to eliminate iron. As mentioned, a straight shaft is much more comfortable. If yours is a new machine, other mods will have to wait until it's out of warranty or have Kellyco do the mods. Mine have improved headphones, aftermarket knobs, BIG coils, and best mod of all.......the remote pin point switch on the handle. Dig everything that doesn't grunt a solid iron null sound.....unless you like digging iron! But then you bought the Excal to eliminate digging iron, right? :laughing7:
What mods does Kellyco do? That's who I'm buying from.

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal. Great machine that you can literally take a plunge with. Best thing you can do is rack up swing hours with it to ingrain the muscle memory of tone vs. target. For me, an Anderson straight shaft works bbetter than the stock shaft, and get a decent heavy duty water scoop. And yes, have fun.
Looking forward to racking up some swing time. So far most users have recommended an Anderson shaft as they are more comfortable for extended sessions.

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to ask the other question.
Other than a straight shaft and heavy duty sand scoop, what else is recommended? For example, are the knobs that fragile that they should be upgraded right away?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, straight shaft and a knob guard. Basically its a flat piece of steel that keeps the knobs from being bumped. (or mostly does that). Makes it a bit harder to work the knobs, but its worth it.

Serious good advice on getting a good scoop. Let me recommend Sunspot Stealth- fantastic people to deal with and a warranty that beats everyone everywhere.

I'd wait until you are out of warranty before doing any mods other than add ons. But that's me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What mods does Kellyco do? That's who I'm buying from.

I'd ask them which mods they will do that still keeps the warranty in effect. If you have to pick just one mod, I'd get the remote pin point switch first. Next most important mod to me is a BIG coil, such as the Coiltek WOT or, my favorite, the NEL 15" Attack coil. I have both the Anderson metal straight shaft and the Plugger carbon fiber shaft. I like the Plugger setup better.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did someone say an Excal plunge? IMG_1410.JPG

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another question. The stock lower shaft is too short, options?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another question. The stock lower shaft is too short, options?

If you're going to go with a straight shaft setup, you might check with Plugger or Andersen to see what options they have.

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all that took the time to reply guys!!

hh,
habs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread