billwnh

Feb 22, 2013
Wolfeboro, NH
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice as I am getting ready to purchase my 1st waterproof machine. I currently have an Etrac, which is a great machine but I am looking for capability to detect in rivers and shallow fresh water mainly, not the ocean. I am looking at a CTX 3030 and I really like what I am seeing with this unit. I will still be detecting mostly land for coins etc... but feel I am missing alot of opportunities in the water(beaches/swimming holes) and am real nervous about bringing the Etrac into the water. The other machine I am considering is an Excalibur II as an option for the water and keeping the Etrac for land. I know that this would be the less expensive option but the CTX has so many advanced features over the Etrac..... I don't plan to go any deeper than chest depth so no scuba diving etc...

I know this question will likely open up a can of worms as there are other water proof options available, but I am really liking the Minelab products and wish to stay in that product line.

Thanks for any feedback or thoughts !

Bill

Upvote 0

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like you I had an E-trac. I really wanted to hunt the waterbut, I knew if I did I would lose the e-trac. I bought a CTX. The best decision I ever made. The first week I had it I found a 10k gold ring and 5 silver. One of the silver is a Tiffany. Now if I decide I want to hunt a park, even if it's raining I can do it. I have been waist deep in the ocean and no problems. I always check the gasket around where the battery is plugged in. That would be a shame. I have the wireless unit. If you decide to use a wireless, be careful. Use the case it comes input the case and everything inside a zip lock to keep it dry. The first time I used the wireless I put it in my shirt pocket. I was in ankle deep water when I bent over. Yep it fell out and into the water. A new unit costs $200. Now I have the new one totally protected. Hope this helps making your decision. HH GFP

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sending you link to some of my articles that may help you with the hunting part
I will defend my machine but don't like to push it - unless you are going to hunt like me - it may not be machine for you

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billwnh, welcome to TreasureNet....... Check your private messages..

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you already have the Etrac and are looking for a beast you can hunt the water with, be patient and consider an Excal.

1) If you already know the Minelab language you'll immediately pick up on what the Excal is telling you.

2) And, here's my experience:

A couple weeks ago I went to the coast for my first salt water hunt. Stumbled into a small sand bar. My cousin had already searched it with the Ace 250 and found one coin. Then I searched it with the Excal and snagged 11 coins. Not all detectors are created equal :)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe you know your machine better? maybe youre a better hunter? - you can have the best machine in the world
but if you don't learn it :dontknow:- and you can have a par machine and know it well and kill it
good example
my land machine is an xlt - whites (1995) - I get laughed at for still using it still but I still do very good with it at "cleaned out" spots
that the guys with the expensive relic machines have hammered - last fall - my land hunt buddy and I hit a field pounded by the best of the best machines
in our area - he got a small tree coin and a cut colonial copper .. I got 2 US 1/2 dimes and a Canadian 1800s 1/2 dime - as well as some IHs other old relics they missed
my partner uses an XLT too

If you already have the Etrac and are looking for a beast you can hunt the water with, be patient and consider an Excal.

1) If you already know the Minelab language you'll immediately pick up on what the Excal is telling you.

2) And, here's my experience:

A couple weeks ago I went to the coast for my first salt water hunt. Stumbled into a small sand bar. My cousin had already searched it with the Ace 250 and found one coin. Then I searched it with the Excal and snagged 11 coins. Not all detectors are created equal :)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you never plan on going to saltwater and never intend on scuba I would look at the MX Sport or ATPro unless you are 100% set on Minelab.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome aboard bill. I've owned many different makes and models of "water" machines over the years including a fully modified Excalibur Blue 1000. I added a 2016 version CTX 3030 to my collection two months ago and have found more Gold and Silver with it than all my other machines combined.

Best CTX find so far: IMG_3311.JPG

GL and SH

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As mentioned here, learn your machine - it makes all the difference in the world - AND FINDS!

You can't expect to kill the dirt on your first outing. Especially with complex machines. You've got to use the machine and focus on the signals. Experience rules!!!

"Carolina"

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2014
Va. Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Excalibur ll
CTX 3030
VALLON VMH3CS
Whites dual field
Primary Interest:
Bill, I wish you luck with your decision as there are many options available. Minelab is a fine machine ( I own three ) and sticking with Minelab, in my opinion is a smart move as you are used to the Etrack. Another avenue to think about is used machines. I own a used blue tube 1000 and a used Excal. II and both are super machines and have given me no trouble ( oh Lord, let me knock on wood ) OK, I also own a new Excal. II and see no difference. I own a new CTX as well but prefer the Excal's over it. My suggestion is if your near a hobby shop see if they have a demo or maybe a friend that would let you try one out. A well balanced Excal can swing all day. CTX, not so much without a harness. The CTX is basically a glorified Etrac. If your a numbers man then the Excal. may not be you. Don't let anyone tell you the Excal. Won't find coins and artifacts on land, they will. Used blue tubes and Excal. II's are a safe bet, used CTX's with out warranty not so much. As others have said, knowing your machine, confidence and solid search techniques are the key. Good luck with your choice and let us know your decision.

OP
OP
B

billwnh

Feb 22, 2013
Wolfeboro, NH
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input everyone ! As I said before I have an Etrac and have gotten quite used to it over the years. I want to/plan to hunt water especially once it gets so friggin hot up here in the summer that I lose motivation to detect. That being said I still think I will spend more time on land vs water. I haven't really decided yet but I am strongly leaning toward the CTX. I will keep you posted when I make a decision.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I am looking for capability to detect in rivers and shallow fresh water mainly, not the ocean.

Get the CTX or another freshwater machine. The excalibur is made for salt water and locked in a form of salt mode. Look at the Tesaro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1280x, or Minelab CTX. If I were you I would sell your etrac and just get the CTX.

If you want a saltwater machine, get the Excalibur or CZ21.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another option that is a very good freshwater detector is the 8" Tesoro Tiger Shark. It will find small gold that some of the other VLF's are "gold dead" to. Basically in the water you don't need a screen (on land either) and you dig anything above small nails.

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last years finds on the Delaware shore, in and out of the water. Approximately 300 hrs. AT PRO. DSCF0016.JPG DSCF0018.JPG DSCF0310.JPG

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I didn't read all of the other posts but I'll give my opinion on the CTX..

The CTX is a GREAT machine.
Wireless:
Coils swap:
Earbuds:
customizable:
relatively light:
LONG battery life:
Compact:
POWERFUL!:

Get an O Ring mod for it . Check FrogMaster's write up's. He scuba's DEEP w/o issues.
I only go about neck deep. All after market underwater headphones kind of suck as of now... I mostly hunt with earbuds for waist deep and gray ghost amphibs for deeper.
On the beach be sure to run Deep mode, beach mode, either low trash or ferrous metal, pitch hold and full volume. Those are musts. I like my attention targets to have higher tones and the trash to have mostly deep low tones. That's just my preference.
Get a shoulder harness and bungee.. I like the Mine Lab pro swing 45. Not cheap but well, well worth it.
Use a thick, fat rubber band on your battery clamps for added security .

That's about all I got for now.. Happy hunting.

Jeffrey Harris

Greenie
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Bill. I use a CZ21. I like it because of the three tones. I ignore the low tone because that's bobby pins and rusted bottle caps. I freshwater hunt on the Salt River in Arizona. People tube it all summer long, tens of thousands per weekend. Really trashy 500+ pull tabs per ring. Probably should get a book or two from Gary Drayton and Clive James Clynick. Good Luck.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Bill. I use a CZ21. I like it because of the three tones. I ignore the low tone because that's bobby pins and rusted bottle caps. I freshwater hunt on the Salt River in Arizona. People tube it all summer long, tens of thousands per weekend. Really trashy 500+ pull tabs per ring. Probably should get a book or two from Gary Drayton and Clive James Clynick. Good Luck.

I would have a CTX then if my ratio were that high. Very easy to not dig tabs and zincolns. I know there could be an occasional piece of gold that matched these target ID's but it is the best machine there is for target ID

Last edited:

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I use the Fischer 1280-X with 10½" Spider coil for fresh water, goes REALLY deep, my personnal best is 13 gold in one day. :skullflag:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Excal is my number one go to beach machine. I don't have to rely on a LCD screen for target ID. I just have to listen. I did own 2 CTX's and enjoyed them both but didn't use them enough to justify the cost.
Best of luck with your decision.

OP
OP
B

billwnh

Feb 22, 2013
Wolfeboro, NH
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

After a lot of deliberation I ended up ordering a CTX 3030. Can't wait for it to get here and start using it ! I really appreciate all of the comments from the experienced folks on this forum and be prepared, I will be asking questions ! lol. Question, there are a couple of good books out there on the etrac, one being Andy Sabischs book and I can't remember the author of the other. Which one is better ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions