Talk About Clueless!

Bigoledude

Dec 3, 2012
SE Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to spend about $250 to $300 on a metal detector for me to take my grandchildren detecting. I know just about nothing about the subject.

The battle of New Orleans in "The War of 1812" took place right here in my town. The British trudged for miles through what is now a bottomless slop/marsh to attack New Orleans. They nearly destroyed their army just from the herculean effort it took to get their war-making material through to higher ground. There must be an abundance of artifacts to detect. If I were to detect anything in this quickslop, I'll be digging in more water than dirt. I would also think that most of the good stuff has sunk pretty deep. How deep will a detector in the above price range detect stuff? Will a detector that works well on dry ground also work in this stuff?

And, of course, there is the sites of the battles to scour.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigolodude,

First off welcome aboard....You're in an area with lots of history.....I wouldn't sweat it to much as to iding your finds.....there's experts here who can pretty much id anything most people could find metal detecting....just get an entry level machine with an easy learning curve by a brand name company.

Have fun detecting with the grandkids and post up your finds and someone will jump in with an id as and when necessary....contact one of the forum sponsors and they can give you a pretty good idea as to what machine to use based on your budget and where you'll be hunting.

Regards + HH

Bill

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just posted a company that I have dealt with quite a bit for another fella and they welcome advice over the phone, KellyCo. Google it and get started, you and the grandchildren will have a blast. Goodluck and keep us informed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions