All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been using mine in Jewelry mode and sensitivity from what I understand is based on what the area will allow. I have been messing around with 2 to 3 bars from full sensitivity at the local lake beaches and messing around with higher sensitivity as well. Try different settings and see what works for you. Coin mode I think will not give you tones on things like pull tabs which could also be gold.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What EE said.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be beneficial for you to hunt in jewelry mode... You will not miss any coins and you're more apt to find jewelry. Sensitivity same as stated above. Try to stay in the same mode for a lot of hours/many hunts or you may start confusing yourself... The 250 is a good machine.... I found more gold with it in one season than I have with my other machines... Good huntin'.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EE is on it..... 2 bars.... for starters. TTC

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin mode / jewelery mode... Forgetta bout it :laughing7:

Plain and simple, learn your machine in all metal and learn the tones :thumbsup: By discriminating any signal, you will probably miss something, even if it is only a pull tab :tongue3: The only way you may otherwise catch the signal is by looking at the screen, because it will show you an item, but no tone. Do you expect to keep your eye on the control panel while hunting :dontknow: By doing so once you hear a beep you'll have no idea where in the ground the target is :laughing7: Learn the beep and combined with your eyesight to triangulate the target for a better recovery

You may go now :tongue3:

OP
OP
C

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i tried it out this morning and i dug every coin noise i heard but found nothing and then i moved it over what i had dug just so i would not miss anything but the signal was gone like it was never there. why is that? i will try again in a couple days but that will be it until the ground is not so hard.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using a pinpointer?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some air testing with the detector. Just toss a couple varieties on the ground and go over them at varying heights.
It will give you an idea what to sound/ID to expect and where it will fall under the coil.
Sometimes coins on an angle in the earth will detect off center of where you expect them to be. So they end up off to the side of the plug you are digging.

OP
OP
C

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some air testing with the detector. Just toss a couple varieties on the ground and go over them at varying heights.
It will give you an idea what to sound/ID to expect and where it will fall under the coil.
Sometimes coins on an angle in the earth will detect off center of where you expect them to be. So they end up off to the side of the plug you are digging.

good advice i shall try this.

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the ace 250 for 3 years now, good machine. i do coin and jewelry modes all the time at all bars but one for sens. sometimes back to 2. trick is slow swings even to the ground. when hearing a signal and then poof its gone, switch to all metal run over same pattern. need to know your tones. Slow is the key to this machine.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a bit rusty on this machine but used it for a couple of seasons about 5 years ago....I used the jewelry setting with sensitivity between 4 and 6.....it has a tendency to false so you may want to use some of those plastic clamps on the coil cable to keep it from flopping around.

Going all metal you wont miss much but if you're hunting trashy urban parks the signal overload will probably drive you batty....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

goreyboggs

Greenie
Dec 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it was to only dig up repeatable targets. Don't just dig a random beep, make sure you go over it a few times with the coil and it keeps beeping in the same area. Then take your time pinpointing it. That is what takes practice. You may also want to get a garrett propointer. its a great machine you will start to like it soon

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Still learning to use mine. I started with all metal, and dug everything.. lots of practice. Still working with the sensitivity.

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am running a 250 and it is my first MD as well. What drives me crazy is little chunks of foil and nails lol. Sometimes it will pick up on some really small things that you really need something on you to sift through the dirt with. Found some pre 1900 babrbed wire on a beach last weekend. The area was farmland before it was a lake and the entire swimming beach is out of the water. Its really fun tracking finds. My son and I found several areas that were spills from people water skiing. I think searching the beach was the best way for me to break into the sport due to how easy it is to dig in the sand

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am running a 250 and it is my first MD as well. What drives me crazy is little chunks of foil and nails lol. Sometimes it will pick up on some really small things that you really need something on you to sift through the dirt with. Found some pre 1900 babrbed wire on a beach last weekend. The area was farmland before it was a lake and the entire swimming beach is out of the water. Its really fun tracking finds. My son and I found several areas that were spills from people water skiing. I think searching the beach was the best way for me to break into the sport due to how easy it is to dig in the sand

Try experimenting with "notching out" certain targets on the meter at the top. You can check your manual or the video that came with the unit to figure out how that is done, but, what a difference it can make.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ckrakowski, you do know it's bad luck to play with your toy before Christmas. Right :dontknow: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread