Tantalizing Site!!

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Ok, I'm going to be a little circumspect here, not to be a jerk, but basically this is the best possible lead I've ever had and want to keep it quiet until I can check it out, but I think others can learn from it and find similar sites in their area. True_Metal is my 'partner in crime' on this one, so we will both work the site and keep you updated on our progress. I was looking at old photos, which I highly recommend. I found a photo from the late 1800s of a site where there were THOUSANDS of people gathered outside elbow to elbow. The photo is taken in a way that you can see natural landmarks that still exist today and are unchanged making it possible to locate the site to a good degree of certainty. Plus, the site is so large, even if you are off by a bit, you will still hit part of the site. I've been told much of the area is still undeveloped, but I will be going this weekend with my camera to try to take similar photographs placing the landmarks as I see them in the 1800s photo. I believe I can get within a few hundred yards or less of the exact location and the location appears to be nearly 1/4 mile long and hundreds of yards or more wide filled with people. It is quite an amazing photo and my efforts to locate information about it on the Internet using the name of what it was at the time failed, so I think it's a forgotten site except maybe a few old photos and articles long out of people's memories. Perhaps still a virgin site! Anyway, you should all check out old photos in whatever places you can find them, as the saying goes, worth a thousand words to know for sure that people were in a given place dropping things.

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

You did not say where this picture may have been taken..Could it have been a refuge or a slave camp or a prisoner camp...U.S.A. had some of those spread out through our country.Nothing like that of other countries though of course!.That was way back then.
Fairgrounds,political get togethers,a rally,a War time send off ship area, just some thoughts, of the late POSSIBLY?
Is this in the USA? or some other country?
You only have ten minutes to give the answer ..then it will be passed onto the next game player!
Now spin the wheel you fool and answer the question on the board and see if and what you win! ::)

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
In the U.S. and nothing negative or problematic like slave camp. I'll have to travel a ways to get there from where I live in NY, but it hopefully it's worth it. I'll take the advice of smart people on this board and keep the details under wraps for now, but as I said, I think the broader issue of searching old photos can be a big help to all.

D

Diane L.

Hi Bergi,Nice to have you aboard,I Did not mean to sound anything negative ..I was talking about camps from the civil war times etc...U.S.A. is a wonderful place..that was back then we were building our country.Anyway!I hope your travels reap you many good finds. I wish I could travel the U.S.A. like some people do and or lived in the wider open spaces.....Because I probably could find a lot more..all the land is mostly privately owned around here.So have a great day as with all the others on this board and best hunting wishes from me! :)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phil (Bergie) did his homework on this one and scored big. If this is an un tapped site, and accessible it will be a silver/gold coin mine! :o

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Update-- Tantalizing Site!!

Ok, went to the site today and lined up the natural landmarks in the camera site. Seems like most of it is lost to history. As best I can tell, the area is mostly now a neighborhood with homes and streets, but there is a large area of preserved grassy land about the size of a football field that looks promising. I also found an old abandoned mansion that is very promising and has a yard that can be detected. Probably will go back and search it tomorrow or soon and give any update.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bergie! Just wondering if you've hit the site you found old photos of yet, and if so, how did you make out??? I am currently eyeing up a spot myself that sounds similar here in Ontario, Canada. I stubmled across an old picture of literally thousands of people standing in an open grass area a hundred yeard or so to the front, lefthand side of a huge building (which still exists). The area where the people are standing in the photo is now a parklike area with a portion of it being used as a soccer field. Not sure if it's ever been disturbed or not...I hope not though. The picture is from 1880 and surely of those thousands of people...some lost some goodies. Not to mention this may have been an annual event even. Here's hoping. Might try to hit it this weekend.

Anyhow...let us know if your site panned out for you.

Wess

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Ok, ok, I'll let the cat out of the bag. This was the site of the Orange County Fair in New York in the 1880s. I located the exact area and was able to find the specific location based on more research and the natural landmarks I discussed. Unfortunately, the entire area has been developed into a neighborhood. Streets, houses, etc. All covered up, bulldozed, etc. I suppose there is lots of stuff underneath somewhere or in some yards, but there's no reasonable way except a house to house request for permission and not many dirt/lawn areas left any longer. On to the next one! Good luck with your site, Wess. Sounds promising. Keep us updated.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmm that's a shame but have had it happen too! You get there and it's an asphalt/concrete jungle. very disappointing. Hopefully your next site will make up for it.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was a bummer to lose another site to development that showed such promise on paper. We did hunt the Mansion site however and Bergie pulled quite a few really nice wheaties. I pulled a few but mostly got some pre 82 memorials and other clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread