Yes google says. lol

No clue on the ping though.

Hope this helps!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it should since it is a highly conductive metal. It is used in the making of capacitors.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Tantalum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Electrical conductivity is about 12% of that of silver, so it's going to be harder to detect than a highly conductive metal such as silver, copper, aluminum, or gold of similar size and shape. It's very slightly magnetic, not enough to throw target ID into the iron range. As with any metal, detectability depends on the size and shape of the piece as well as the characteristics of the metal detector itself.

Tantalum does not occur as free metal "nuggets" in nature, so I suppose you're talking about detecting tantalum manufactured products. The powder itself will be hard to detect because the electrical path has to go through small contact points and (depending on the material) the powder granules may have an oxide layer preventing electrical contact. Electrical conductivity of sintered material will be a lot lower than that of the pure bulk metal because of the lower density and the meandering paths necessary to support current flow. Also note that alloys in general will have electrical conductivity lower than that of the pure metal.

OP
OP

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are pegmatites around here where crystals and masses occur. Have seen nuggets off mine dumps where material is very heavy and mettallic. Was wondering if I could metal detect for them.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
There are pegmatites around here where crystals and masses occur. Have seen nuggets off mine dumps where material is very heavy and mettallic. Was wondering if I could metal detect for them.

It depends on what the "them" are. All pegmatites have lots of crystals, mostly of silicate minerals. Off the top of my head I can't think of any actual metal that occurs as free masses in pegmatites.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
woof,
Can you comment on anything new or improved from Fisher regarding gold prospecting detectors? Somebody had to ask, thanks.....Rob

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad you asked Rob. I'm curious about forum rumors indicating Fisher is working on a PI unit suitable for prospecting. This much I'd like to know, prior to pulling a trigger elsewhere. Anything you could say Dave would be appreciated, although such would surprise me...

Jim.

OP
OP

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many minerals crystals in pegmatite that have a metal in thier composition. Casserite, coloumbite, uraninite,wolframite,sheelite,and many others but I wonder if any detectable with a metal detector?

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal detectors don't detect metallic elements in a compound, they detect electrical conductive material (usually free metal) of sufficient size (typically about the size of a grain of rice or larger) that the signal can overcome the noise floor (sensitivity limit) of the metal detector. I am not aware of any occurrence of nodules of free metal in pegmatites.

A few minerals have sufficient electrical conductivity to be detectable, in particular several sulfide and related ores, and possibly several oxides. These materials are semiconductors and with the exception of several sulfide ores, small pieces of such will not be detectable. Ordinary iron pyrites are usually undetectable. To my knowledge sulfide and chemically related ores are not present in pegmatites inasmuch as these are mostly hydrothermal minerals.

Magnetite is present in some pegmatites and because of its magnetic susceptibility (not electrical conductivity) may be detected by a metal detector if the ground balance control is offset or if the piece of magnetite is large. However not many people are interested in collecting magnetite esp. using a metal detector to locate it. The eyeball usually works better.

Maghemite (gamma ferric oxide) is a soil and rock-weathering mineral detectable with metal detectors because its magnetic loss angle (imaginary component of magnetic susceptibility) makes it hard to knock out by ground balancing. It does not occur within pegmatite mass although it can form in weathered material. Nobody besides soil and rock scientists collects maghemite. And as a matter of fact, that's what several of us First Texas Products folks did on a field expedition yesterday.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HP I am going to assume that woof!'s answer is actually a good answer in disguise.
I would take that as a good sign that they are working on one because if they weren't I am sure he would have said "Nope." :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread