30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LuckyDragon said:
Can you fellow metal detectorist tell me have you used tarnex or a coin tumbler to clean your coin finds? Which works better Tarnex or a coin tumbler ?
and how do you clean your old coins you find you know that old rare coin.

You know someone on here said they soak their coins in Hydrogen Peroxide, and I tried this on
some wheats I had, and "BINGO" they came out looking... well... a lot better than I can
remember ever seeing coins come out...
Things still are not perfect but they cleaned up good...

OP
OP
LuckyDragon

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Interesting, have you guys used a coin tumbler before?
I wonder if it will polish the coins.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a tumbler for dug clad only not on the good stuff . pennies in one load then nickles ,dimes,quarters in another , add a little dish soap a little water and a handful of gravel an let it go for 4-5 hours ....by then pretty much most of it will feed threw the coin star machine .

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tarn-x is for silver, and pretty strong stuff. A tumbler is for modern coins you don't care about. I would stay away from both methods for a decent coin, though I have used tarn-x on occasion with some ok results. I would explore other options for a good silver coin now and only go to the T if necessary.

OP
OP
LuckyDragon

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I know they say it best to just wash off dirt of old relic coins
with just water and an old tooth brush.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LuckyDragon said:
I know they say it best to just wash off dirt of old relic coins
with just water and an old tooth brush.

Even water is too much sometimes... depends on what you have!

OP
OP
LuckyDragon

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
like a rare coin such as an indain head nickel know as buffilo nickels
mercury dime indain head pennies etc that very rare.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LuckyDragon said:
like a rare coin such as an indain head nickel know as buffilo nickels
mercury dime indain head pennies etc that very rare.

Those are common coins.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Used Tarnex a long time ago. Never again.

Coin tumblers are great for really grimed coins, but make sure before dumping ANY coin in the tumbler that it isn't worth anything first. Tumbling is abrasive, and will degrade your coin.

For good coins, use olive oil and let the coins soak for at least a week.

Next get a pint of acetone. Using a clean cloth-covered flat surface, preferably outdoors, open the container and dip the end of a fluffy Q-tip into the acetone. Quickly wipe the coin in a circular motion, including the rims. Acetone is the ONLY cleaner that should be used on higher-end silver or copper coins.

Even so, coin may not pass through the modern coin grading experts unscathed. Case in point: received a bonus prize from an Ebay purchase of an older Dansco wheat cent album. By close examination, found the 1909S cent to actually be a 1909 S VDB cent. Coin had been held in the album for at least 50 years by scotch tape, which had solidified on the coins and made them barely recognizable. Took them to a professional, who advised the above method, after performing this operation on the 1909 S VDB mentioned above. Submitted to PCGS afterwards. Coin was returned slabbed, no grade, identified as "authentic, altered surface". If Scotch tape left on a coin for 50 years will result in an "altered surface" designation, try to imagine what a tumbled coin would yield.

BTW, sold that slabbed 1909 S VDB cent for $705 on Ebay, which was sent as a gift for buying an incomplete Liberty nickel set, which had the same problem: held in the folder by tape. Was able to clean all of the affected coins. But that 1909 S VDB was a treasure all to itself, don't you think?

OP
OP
LuckyDragon

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
indain head nickels and mercury dimes and indain head pennies might common
but thier rare to me.

Napa Steve

Aug 19, 2009
Napa california
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 6x10dd DX1 Prizm III
For pennys I soak them in hydrogen peroxided, for nickels I use worchirsauce and my other clad I tumble them in straight ammonia and it cleans them right up.

OP
OP
LuckyDragon

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I wonder if anyone has use a dremel tool with a wirebrush bit or a stiff brisels brush bit at low speed to clean coins ?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LuckyDragon said:
I wonder if anyone has use a dremel tool with a wirebrush bit or a stiff brisels brush bit at low speed to clean coins ?

I know guys that use it on pewter buttons. Yes, it would probably work, but there is almost always a better way. Kinda like taking paint off your car with a hammer & chisel.

OP
OP
LuckyDragon

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
if they ever find way to safely remove crud and oxadation from rare coins . it be wonderful...

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Oxidation of a coin surface is, by definition, degradation. The only way to remove the oxidation will also remove a portion of the coin.

Another name for oxidation is rust, and in the conversion of iron to iron oxide = oxidation.

The process also affects other metals, more or less. Iron is especially sensitive.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Gawd don't do that!
The sledge you have will be disgusting and your coins will look really bad!
I tumble rocks/gems here and have tumbled some coins.
All you need is some sand and a little water. Just enough to cover the coins in the barrel.

DO NOT over fill the barrels. If they should force open while turning your wife will freak out because the sledge is nasty and will stain most carpets. ;D

To answer your question on how to clean a rare coin.
I don't usually mess with it.
If it is indeed rare then I just have it professionally done.
A lot dealers/collectors frown on shiny rare coins!
Good luck

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine had about 80.00 worth of clad coins found over the last year so he went out a got a double barrel coin tumbler and steel shot pellets filled both tumblers and ran it dry for 24 hours HEEHEE what a MESS !! when opened a cloud of black powder over everything needless to say it all had to be cleaned off again with water

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread