Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
teaching an old dog new trick's

After listening to rich (port ewen ace) tell me that i missed an Ih and a few other relic's at the 1833 home stead we worked
i just had to go back and see what he was doing
he was working those hits that were just off the iron range, hits that i moved off of fast
after watching him and seeing how he move his coil i decided it i would try his way
my first hit had that little jump off of iron then right back to iron no repeatable reading the type that says iron way down deep
i slowed my swing down to the point i thought i would fall asleep swinging the area and sure enough there was on small area that came up as a strong brass reading over and over and here is what i missed the first time
scabbard tip - 1840-1850 scabbard tip

Upvote 2

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just saw your the bracelet that you found that made banner. That is an awesome find and it surprises me that someone would be carrying that kind of money out in the open back in those days.

blackbird1

Greenie
Apr 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the tip of a sword scabbard

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is a sword scabbard tip, sadly there is a crack along the edge but it also likely belonged to the same civil war lieutenant who lost the EXCELSIOR NY eagle over globe and cannons buckle that fmerg found 50 feet from the scabbard.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! You'd think that would scream at you when you went over it. Was it masked by iron or just really deep? Congrats on a great find!:coffee2:

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! You'd think that would scream at you when you went over it. Was it masked by iron or just really deep? Congrats on a great find!:coffee2:
it was really very close to a large chunk of iron and could only be picked up in an area about 1/2 inch square
the rest of it was hid by the iron

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG. That's why tones are so much more important than VDI's. Congrats again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread