Tecopa/Kingston Mountain Run

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago a friend of mine, Corbin Harney (wiki him up, it's a good read) invited me to camp at this ol' concrete warm spring tub off Furnace Creek Road. About thirty miles uphill from there is a hole on the west side of the blown out caldera that is Kingston Mountain that I started digging in '88 or '89. Pulled some serious poundage of deepdeep purple over the years. My first trip back there in almost 15 years.

That hole? It's a forty foot trench now, back filled five feet deep from the folks that came in behind me. The deep purple is still there, but it would take 10 to 12 hours of labor to get the overburden off, so I just sifted some buckets, wandered for ground scores and scouted for new holes in the future.

One shard of gem quality, two (very) rare citrines -- the naturally cooked king, not the naturally grown dioxide -- and out of nowhere, laying on flat high ground with no apparent host rock ANYwhere, a flake of poppy jasper.

And lots of eye candy...

Citrine.jpg points2.jpg photo_5 (2)_edited.jpg photo_4 (2)_edited.jpg photo_2 (2)_edited.jpg photo_2 (1).JPG photo_1 (1)_edited.jpg Desert Rat Riviera 2.jpg cutter.jpg poppy jasper.jpg

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an interesting post! How unexpected....a hot spring pool/tub & a "couch". lol I've never heard of "poppy" jasper, very different...wonder why/how it's that way? Will have to look that one up....thanks for posting all this.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the locals have turned it into a Desert Rat Riviera, Kat. I hit that spot after 496.7 miles, ten hours of driving at ten o' clock at night on the first try! Gotta tell you, that was one comfortable NOT smelly couch to crash on -- and save me a *lot* of late night unpacking to set up a camp!

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..."Desert Rat Riviera"....would make a good book or song title! Wow...that's a lot of driving, so nice it was there for ya! :)

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desert Rat Riviera. That would make a great Guy Clark or John Prine song !

Upvote 0

Josephinedark

May 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. Couldnt resist.. I am the one that drug that couch there.. Lol
Would interested to know more about the place 30 miles up..

Upvote 0

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Many moons ago I redug that ledge that is pictured got alot of stuff, started white crystals at the south end of the ledge then light purple midway and finally at the north end of my trench deep purple Kingston mnt amethyst.
There were a couple hikers up there when we were diggin the purp we invited them up to dig with us.
Great day on the big mnt.
Gt......
IMG_20190501_154535.jpg

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome material! A few years ago I spent three days working an amethyst pocket that was at about 15 feet below the surface. The last night I got to work it, I stayed up until midnight working it, and It was starting to open up more, with bigger and better crystals, I had to work the next morning, so I left because I still had an hour and a half to drive home. Two days later I came back, and the Forrest Service had back-filled my pocket.:BangHead: I tried to dig it back out, but could not find the pocket again. It's still there, somewhere.......ugg.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread