Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon dual disc'.

I recently purchased a V that I really like. In fact, I'm hopefully getting ready to purchase a 2nd Tesoro. I have been looking hard at the Tejon and it's dual disc. abilities. I understand in theory how it's suppose to work. My question is...Does it actually work as described?

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tejon dual disc'.

Yes it does. The discrimination circuits are the same, so it's up to the operator to set them to the style of hunting that suits them. Personally, I prefer to keep #1 just above Iron, and #2 above foil. If I get a good signal with #1, I quickly check #2. If it's still good I dig. If it's not, I still may dig to find rings. I have heard others do it differently, but that's the general idea.

Dan

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.

I agree. It works very good. It is the best feature the Tejon has - besides depth. In trashy parks I set the first discrimination to break up on a nickle, and the 2nd to break up on a zinc. You can click back and forth very easy and identify most objects easily.

Ian

OP
OP
J

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SaginawIan said:
I agree. It works very good. It is the best feature the Tejon has - besides depth. In trashy parks I set the first discrimination to break up on a nickle, and the 2nd to break up on a zinc. You can click back and forth very easy and identify most objects easily.

Ian

In your opinion, what is the Tejon's worst feature?

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

"johnnycat"

I replied to a post yesterday by "outlaw" concerning the Tejon, this is what I said:

"A couple of lesser know facts about the Tejon are it runs at a high Freq. of 17.2 to 17.6 kHz,
which is shared with the Lobo which runs at 17.5 kHz. (Very close). It is the only Tesoro detector to have dual independent discrimination circuits, It is only one of three detectors made by Tesoro that has a pin point mode and one of two detectors that has a adj. re-tune rate in all metal mode.It is one of two detectors (the other is the Sand Shark) that has a adj. audio freq. that lets you hear signals at a audio that is comfortable and pleasing to you.
With that said, my answer to you would be that if you have a Tejon for relic hunting fine, go out and use it for coin hunting it will do a good job if the soil is not heavily mineralized. Should you purchase a Tejon for coinshooting? No, there are better detectors in the Tesoro lineup for coinshooting." I don't really have any "worst feature" comment on the detector, I like everything about the design. If I can help you with your purchase send me a PM. Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Personally I like the two disc ranges of the Tejon as it reminds me of my old C & G Bobcat. One disc setting was Iron and the next was Pull tab. I dug a lot of silver with that detector.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In your opinion, what is the Tejon's worst feature?

I would say (and this is grasping at straws) that the Tejon's weakest point is the ease with which the knobs turn. Sometimes you can accidentally turn them. However, this is easily fixed by installing some little o-rings behind the knobs.

As for coin hunting with the Tejon, while not the ideal use for it, it does do a great job at it. I had my new GTI 2500 out today, and I retraced a couple of spots with my Tejon, and sure enough, there was more to be found that the GTI missed. Perhaps, or should I say hopefully, it's just my lack of experience with the Garrett.

If I was forced to make a choice between these 2, I would keep the Tejon without hesitation.

Dan

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Dan B,

Yes, I do agree with you about the knobs turning too easily on the Tejon. Yesterday when I answered johnnycat ,something was in the back of my mind that was negative about the detector but I couldn't remember what it was. Something should be done about that. Using a "rain jacket" on the detector would probably help a lot as far as the bumping knobs goes as well as protecting the whole control box.

johnnycat,

Can you hook me up with some nugget hunting in the Santa Fe area? I'm going to be there for about three weeks starting May 22. Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Something everyone seems to forget when searching where another detector has searched and you find things you think the other missed is the first detector has to get the target in the searchcoils field. If the sweeps are not overlapped by at least 50%, the detector just didn't see the coin. Also the angle you approach the target has a lot to do with the way detectors respond.

I have a sawdust pile in a park that seems to be reseeded with Wheaties everytime I hunt it. This is a small area an while the coil covers surface area 100%, the coins keep coming at only 2 to 3 inches. It isn't the fault of the detector either.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very true. If the coil doesn't pass over the object you ain't gonna find it.

Interestingly, I was tinkering in my yard last night after the kiddies went to bed, and my Tejon gave me a pretty smooth signal. I thought I had cleaned my yard out, but I guess not. Anyway, before I dug it up, I passed the Garrett over it. Based off of the audio, and to a lesser extent, the display, I probably wouldn't have dug this one. I did dig it and it turned out to be a copper penny. No big deal this time, but it could have been a "keeper" that I wouldn't have found. Obviously I need more time on the Garrett (although this is the third Garrett with a display that I have owned over the years).

I'm not attempting to disparage the GTI, but the more I use it, the more I appreciate the Tesoro.

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread