Tejon on the way

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should have my Tejon in the next couple of days. It has the stock coil on it, and I will be using it primarily for relic hunting, as well as deeper, older coin hunting. Is the stock coil sufficient for this type of hunting or would the 5.75 or the 12X10 double D be better choices?

I have a Golden Umax with the stock coil that I use for clad hunting in the local parks. I tried the 12X10 on it, and that was a bad idea in the trashy areas.

I dont care to make the mistake of going coil crazy, but if there is a better coil than the stock unit for the type of hunting I plan to use it for.....I'd like some opinions.

Thanks,

LittleJohn

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should try the stock coil to see how it works for you as you can always get a larger coil later. I only use the stock on mine, but it depends on how deep your relics are.

OP
OP
LittleJohn

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is something that I am not sure of yet.....how deep they are. I will be hunting a farm that is about 8 miles away from Gettysburg, PA and most of what I will be hunting is open horse pasture. How deep the relics are ....I guess I'll just have to find out, but I didn't want to go there until I had my Tejon, as I dont know for sure if the Golden UMax will go deep enough.

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
Good Luck with the Tejon, I had one with stock coil and the 5.75 coil! I had`a` love hate relationship with my Tejon Great Detector in some of the soil here in Kansas but in some areas the mineralization was awful. Not really the detectors fault but it went crazy in these bad soils I wish I could have keep the Tejon as for the money you cannot buy a better detector. There are times I am sorry I sold the detector but you know what they say about hindsight!!!

OP
OP
LittleJohn

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bill, I am pretty excited about the Tejon. I have been in a few places where the mineralization in the ground was so intense that my Golden would not shut up, no matter how low the sensitivity was. If the golden had manual GB, it would be a gem...but I am not complaining, it has found me a bunch of stuff.

My main use for the Tejon is relic and older coins. I have an old stone house, which was built in the mid 1700's that I have permission to hunt all I want. I have been there already with the silver Umax and we dug a ton of iron goodies, matchbox cars, old ornamental iron and pretty much any other trash you can imagine....and one clad 1986 quarter...imagine that. I haven't taken the golden to that property, but the next time I hunt it will be with the Tejon....I am pretty stoked, no telling what may be in the ground there....maybe some old silver or even better? Time will tell.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Congrats on your new Tejon. It is a great detector. I use mine mostly for relic hunting and the fields and woods I like the stock coil myself. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
LittleJohn

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPS Tracking number says it is out for delivery, so on the way home I'll grab some fresh batteries and I'll be giving it a test run. Looking forward to learning this machine.

Marko2

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2008
Manteno
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Surf pro, Whites MXT, Tesoro Cortes, Tesoro Vaquero
You will love the Tejon. It is probably the deepest detector i have owned. I run the stock coil most of the time. If the trash is heavy i switch to the 5.75 conc. My partner runs a 4in that is even better in the heavy trash. I also have the 12x10 i only run that in the fields or woods where it is clean. With those three coils i have it covered. 85% time standard coil. 10% 5.75 coil. 5% bigboy. Good luck.

OP
OP
LittleJohn

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only have the stock coil right now, and for the kind of hunting that I do, it may just be all that I need, and then if I get into a place where I need something different I will get it then. I ran and got the 4 inch and the 12X10 for my UMax models, and they are so "situtation" specific, that they dont get much use yet, so I dont want to make the mistake with this unit that I did with the UMax series.

I may get the 5.75 coil in a few months for a trashy park here or there, but I am going to focus on learning how to use the stock coil. I am a few minutes away from hitting the door for the day, and I will be off to start checking this machine out, so I'll report on how it does.

LittleJohn

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LittleJohn said:
I only have the stock coil right now, and for the kind of hunting that I do, it may just be all that I need, and then if I get into a place where I need something different I will get it then. I ran and got the 4 inch and the 12X10 for my UMax models, and they are so "situtation" specific, that they dont get much use yet, so I dont want to make the mistake with this unit that I did with the UMax series.

I may get the 5.75 coil in a few months for a trashy park here or there, but I am going to focus on learning how to use the stock coil. I am a few minutes away from hitting the door for the day, and I will be off to start checking this machine out, so I'll report on how it does.

LittleJohn
Let me know John!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread