Talk to me about super tuning the Vaquero

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
I get the basic ideas ...Max out thresh and sens till it doesnt false ,but I wonder how well does the disc work when done? Would turning the disc up say past "tab" be moot to the point (by losing depth)?
Do deep coins sound fainter (blips)...please post your vids if you have them too! Thanks &HH!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Tune Your Vaquero
The Vaquero can be set up to get even better depth and sensitivity while operating in the DISCRIMINATE Mode. Super tuning is accomplished by working in the DISCRIMINATE Mode and turning the THRESHOLD knob to the highest setting.

Super tuning your Vaquero will cause the threshold audio level to be set too high for accurate All Metal or Pinpointing operation.

To start, turn the DISCRIMINATE LEVEL knob to just above the IRON setting and turn the SENSITIVITY knob as high as it will go without causing the detector to chatter. Check a target or two and notice how far away you can get from the coil and still receive a repeatable audio signal. Now, turn up the THRESHOLD knob and recheck the targets. You should see an increase in the distance from the target to the coil. Push the PINPOINT button. Notice that the threshold tone is far too loud to accurately identify some of your targets.

When hunting with a super tuned Vaquero, you should ground balance the detector with the threshold tone set at the level of a low steady hum. After you have ground balanced, you can turn up the THRESHOLD knob to super tune your detector.

Take some time to try different targets and settings in an air test to see how well your detector will work in the ground.

Good Luck,
Sandman

ron_c

Mar 13, 2009
Noth Central Texas
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL, G2, Compass Coin Scanner Pro, Garrett BFO Discriminator, Garrett Pro Pointer,White's TRX PP, XP Gold Maxx Power, White's IDX Pro, Omega, Tesoro Vaquero
On the deeper coin signals, in my test garden the 6 and 7" coins (dimes) comes in loud and clear after Super Tuning and Power Balancing. However on the 8" and 9" dimes the Vaquero will just click or sputter so to speak and sounds just like iron to me. I probably wouldn't investagate this signal out in the field it sounds like iron so much. However, if I turn the ground balance 1/8 turn more negative, again this is after Super Tuning and Power Balancing, it will give a good beep but it still has a click or sputter only it's a lot more fainter. The more positive beep, sounds good enough to investage as a deeper coin.

On setting the discriminate, the more you turn it clockwise, you do lose depth. If I turn the disc. down to AM (not clicked into AM) I can barely hit on a 10" dime, but when turned to the mark just below 5c most of the time no signal at all, but this is in sandy loam soil (50% sand, 50% native organic soil)

Hope this helps.

Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions