Teknetics T2 Metal Detector (users in here)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only con I can think of is that they still tend to be a little fragile compared to other machines. I won't include the fact it doesn't retain its settings like the F75 as its really no trouble as setting up/ground balancing is so easy. A large coil makes the handgrip creak as you swing and there's several cases where the handle has parted from the shaft.

On the plus side its pretty deep, easy to use and can be used in several different modes. The advantage (as well as being cheaper) over the F75 is the wider discrimination range down at the ferrous end. If your just a coinshooter then the F75 could be a better bet but as I work old sites with lots of iron I sold the Fisher and kept the Teknetics.

It has a really fast recovery speed but this doesn't impact on depth as with some detectors. Battery life is amazing considering it only uses 4 AA batteries (40 hours plus with quality Alkalines).
Excellent/easy pinpointing. Can be used on any land site though being single frequency the wet salt beach performance is nowhere near that of a pulse or twin/multifrequency machine.
I'd like to hear if anyone has used the T2 for goldhunting. Its suggested you can but I've not had the chance to try it.

There is one other drawback thats now shared with several other detectors. The flash looking coil, due to the several thin struts, picks up losts of mud and holds it worse than other designs. This can be a pain if working a ploughed field after rain.

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
I see you have them all...
Thanks for the info/tip.As far as not retaining its settings,you mean everytime you turn it on you have to mess with the settings as in get it set up where you are hunting?If that's the case, I might not be ready for that yet...unless you just simply adjust the knob and go MD'ing?
That's the problam I am having with my ,uh, 'inexpensive" BH, it even picks up tree roots!
When you say 'recovery speed" what does that mean?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recovery speed is the amount of time your detector needs to "recover" from one signal before it hits the next. With a fast speed you can detect in high rubbish areas and there's more chance of both detecting weak signals and giving a correct I.D. on all targets. With a slow speed your detector could be still be dealing with one signal whilst the coil is passing over a second target. If large iron has pulled the audio down into a null (silence) then the second target, say a small coin or ring will not be able to drag the audio up sufficiently for you to hear the good target.

The T2 is a pretty sophisticated detector with several modes, sensitivity adjustments, ground balance etc but its not that hard to use. It will grow with you.
Starting off you switch on and revolve that same knob to the audio level that suits (normally full). Work down the right hand list on the display by pressing the grey button. Sensitivity will be highlighted and show 60. Turn the one knob on the meter unit up or down if you want to adjust this.
Press the grey button again and Disc level is highlighted. The same knob used for sensitivity now adjusts the discrimination level.
Press grey button again and your given the option of having tones or not and selecting the amount that suits you by again turning that one knob.

Ground balance you can set yourself or use "Fast Grab" and the detector will do it for you.

There's a trigger under the meter to contend with. Pushed away from you is to ground balance, pulled towards you pinpoints and gives a depth reading.

The display is giving a full time target display and I.D. number and the state of the batteries as you detect.

You have the option of using "all metal" as the search mode if you want and I.D. from the meter display but you don't have to. You could just switch on and start detecting. The detector will work fairly well. Ground balance with Fast Grab and it will work better. Then consider the site your on and the amount of rubbish your prepared to accept and its better again.

So you can make it as simple or hard as you like but even the hard is straightforward. Makes me want to leap up and get detecting !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread