l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cortes is definitely superior to the 250, in fact you may like it better than the 2500.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the ace 250, don't get me wrong it's a good detector for some, but in my opinion the cibola and deleon (i can only speak on these cause they're the only one's that I've used that are less expensive than the Cortes), far exceeds the 250, of course if you don't need on TID that the cibola lacks.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Cortes would be my choice over the Ace. Your kind of comparing apples and bananas though.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Cortes, and have had an Ace in the past. They are in two completely different categories, both price-wise and performance-wise. Obviously the Cortes will outshine the Ace hands down.

Dan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely the Cortes is the better detector and I would prefer it over the 2500 too.

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my two cents, but I have used the Compadre, the Silver, and the Cortes. I thought ther Compadre was pretty useless, and the Silver was just a step above that. The lifetime warranty is great, but in terms of value, I will take the Ace 250 over the low end Tesoros any day. Now, the Cortes, that is another story. but look at the price in comparison to the Ace 250 - it should be better at tripple the price! To me, a detector without a meter is not all that great. That is why I do not like most of the Tesoros. I am sure they are good detectors, but a having meter when I coin or relic hunt is just my preference. Even though I use my ears when I hunt more than the meter, a meter gives me sort of a fall back comfort zone. The only complaint about the Cortes I had was the small size of the digital readout screen. It was a great detector, but for that fact. Now, when I nugget hunt, I do not need or really want a meter. Neither my Gold Bug 2 not my Minelab GPX 4000 have meters and I love them both.

To me, the Ace 250 for the money is an excellent value if you are just looking to coin hunt in parks and schools and just have a low key good time. For serious hunts I always fall back on my Whites XLT. But the Ace 250 has a nice size screen, 3 tone ID (I actually like the bell tone - but I started with a CZ-5 a long time a go and it had sort of a bell tone), notch discrimination, all metal mode, a program you can customize, a relic program, a coin program, and a jewelry program. I have used one a number of times, and I have had very good luck with it. They are well balanced and light and they make 3 very nice coils for it that cover a variety of situations. The last club hunt I attended, 4 people came out with either the 150 or the 250 and they all did very well. There is no perfect detector, and the only really good ones are the ones you like and will use. Variety is what makes the world go round. I love my Whites XLT the best, but I also recognize that there are many other good detectors out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread