spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who need ghosts and goblins when there are other scary threads here to read :laughing9:

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-1771503229.jpg

S

stefen

To paraphrase a famous statement...I am drunk and you are ugly...in the morning I will be sober...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happened on the beach one night. Very dark that night, full moon just barely peeking through the thick cloud cover, light ocean breeze brushing my cheeks and a very strange and foul aroma hanging in the air. Very eerie indeed.

I was detecting along the waterline when I was suddenly overcome with this notion that I was being watched, perhaps even stalked, the tiny hairs on the back of my neck now standing on full alert. No, I can't tell the rest of this story for fear that everyone will think I am completely nuts. All I can say is this, "Beware of the swirling fog!" Some things really can go bump in the night.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
It happened on the beach one night. Very dark that night, full moon just barely peeking through the thick cloud cover, light ocean breeze brushing my cheeks and a very strange and foul aroma hanging in the air. Very eerie indeed.

I was detecting along the waterline when I was suddenly overcome with this notion that I was being watched, perhaps even stalked, the tiny hairs on the back of my neck now standing on full alert. No, I can't tell the rest of this story for fear that everyone will think I am completely nuts. All I can say is this, "Beware of the swirling fog!" Some things really can go bump in the night.

This is getting good! Love ghost stories!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bump in the night indeed. Parked truck about a quarter mile from stand of choice predawn. Toting a bow in onehand and climbing sticks in the other with a tiny flashlite pressed against sticks in case some one else was crazy enough to be out hours before lite. About halfway there something warm "grabbed"my right hand! By chance when i landed i was back in my boots,looked at my hand and through glow of flashlite showing through its hide watched the flying squirrel leap off. Woke me right up!.

Had a strange return through woods to home after a hunt one time with a creature approaching checking me out and leaving i have to save for campfire tales.
Don,t want to upset the pink cheeked recruits!

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on a service call some years back working on a furnace in the basement at a turn of the century house and keep seeing shadows move down there and something felt like it blew on my neck and made a low groan needless to say i was ready to leave that place and not come, didn't say anything to the homeowner about it but it was something strange down there !

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
3 AM on an unseasonably warm October morning I was pumping a tractor trailer load of powdered limestone into a silo at a minewater treatment station above a containment lake . An extremely loud air compressor was the delivery device . Impenitrable ground fog swirled above my knees .
>
>
Someone's stray coon dog chose that time to rear up behind me , drop a paw on each shoulder , and lick my ear .
>
>
SHADDUP , Stefan !
I landed on the top of the tank trailer and my shoes were still on the ground .

K

Kentucky Kache

releventchair and truckinbutch has the funniest stories so far. Both made me bust a gut.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there I am, somewhat spooked and all alone on the darkened beach, the breaking surf and headphones making it impossible to hear anything around me. About that time I get a faint tone and after a few scoops I dump the bucket containing the target onto the beach and I flip on my small amber headlamp as I'm trying to sift through the pile of sand with my foot. After a few moments and not such luck I realize the target is very small so I stoop down to grab a handful of sand so I can run it under the coil. That's when I sensed some movement on the beach just ahead of me and when I raised my head, "WHAM!"

Now I mean "WHAM!" as in straight to the heart, two sets of red eyes just beyond the haze of my faint amber lighting and they were looking straight at me and slowly creeping my way. Honestly, I don't think I stood up, but rather I shot up with feet already speedily beating a mid-air retreat to nowhere certain. Instincts? Well let me tell you, in that moment my instincts were suddenly so razor sharp I could have told you how many teeth each biting sand flea had. In an instant my metal detector was transformed into a state of the art jousting pole and my scoop was suddenly Excalibur yanked from the stone. I don't know if I actually wet myself cause my suit was already wet but if I were a betting man, well, you get the picture. I don't know, maybe twenty yards later I finally stopped to turn around, jousting pole out front and Excalibur ready to slice the head off anything that moved. And then I saw them, two coons returning to the dead fish that I had apparently, and unknowingly, chased them from with my slow head down approach. Whooo, was that I relief. I offered those two critters a couple of choice words while my skin was settling back on my body. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, going door to door around the neighborhood trick-or-treating on Halloween night. Until that night I never knew grandma had dentures! Old woman literally scared me to death when she opened that door. By all rights I should of had to stand there in my own pee giving her the treat as I attempted to guess who she was. :laughing7:

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandpa said there was a house that everyone thought was haunted after the original owners moved out (this was around 1900). Everyone that moved in heard chains being dragged up and down the stairs in the night, and quickly moved out. Finally a group of men pooled their money and said they would pay $50 to anyone that would spend the night there. That was a lot of money then, so one of the braver ones took them up on the offer. That night all the men camped outside the house to make sure that the other man really stayed inside the entire night. The next morning he came out laughing and said the ghost was really a racoon that the original owners kids had made a pet out of. They had put a chain around its neck and kept it tied up. When they moved, they turned it loose, but left the collar and chain on. The racoon continued living in attic of the house and would come out during the dark to feed, dragging the chain down the stairs behind him. There was no electric lighting, only candles and kerosene lamps for them to see by, so when they were looking for the source of the noise, everyone was looking for something as tall as a human. They all missed seeing the little racoon since they weren't looking at the floor.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought ghosts were just a product of an over active imagination, until my sister and her husband bought a large 1870s house.

It was a big beautiful house in a small town, on 4 lots, and they paid about half of what it should have been worth.

After selling it, the former owners left the state, and became impossible to contact.

Not long after moving in, my sister was looking for her youngest daughter, age 5, found her in an upstairs bedroom with her hands over her ears crying. She told my sister that a mean man was yelling at her and told her to get out. There was no one else in the house.

There were dozens of incidents with the children, and several with the adults.Mostly minor unexplained incidents.My sister and her husband are educated and found this all hard to believe. Once a picture of the children fell off a shelf and shattered. My sister had glass figurines in front of the picture, and said there was no way that picture could have fallen and not knocked the glass off. She was in the next room, heard the crash, went right in, no one there.

Finally after a year, they brought their preacher to their house to see if he could help.

He had no experience in these matters, but went room to room, not too sure what he did, but that was the end of it.

Sooo...I guess I'm a believer...still skeptical, but my sis does not lie, they kept everything secret and want no notoriety.

It is what it is, whatever it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread