Tell me about 4 inch coils!

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada

TOWcritter

Hey. I can't say much about the 4" coil but I did just buy a 5" excelerator coil for my MXT. First thing it does is it really helps with the target separation. You can identify multiple targets more often than with a stock 8" or in my case 9 1/2" coil. As far as depth goes I think it really depends on the type of machine it's atached to. More power / more depth. I may be wrong but that's my take on it. I have only had the chance to use mine 3 times so far. The main reason I bought it was because #1. Highly mineralized soil where I hunt ( in the 83 to 89 range ). #2. A whole hell of a lot of iron relics on 3 very good sites. Multiple layers of iron too. #3. Increased depth according to the manufacturer. I haven't gotten the tape measure out yet but it seems to pick up deeper signals. Sometimes I just don't feel like digging to China. You do have to slow your sweep considerably with a smaller coil in order to take full advantage of its capabilities though. And that alone takes a considerable amount of patience if you know what I mean. Hopes this long rambling statement of mine helps smooth things out for you a little, Good Hunting.

OP
OP
GunFarce

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
hi Tow.. Well it's answered some questions for me.. I guess I'll just have to wait till it comes.. Should have it tomorrow.. and try it out.. It scanned around the yard today with the standard coil.. Got a strong signal and started digging... I 'do' suppose everyone knows what a aluminum T.V.dinner tray looks like eh!... :(

OP
OP
GunFarce

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Well, my 4"coil came today, and I got the chance to plug it in and do a few sweeps in the yard.. What I did find, was it seemed to be a lot more sensitive than the 8" one. It would pinpoint the object and beep with very little movement ,allowing you to X the area and dig quite accurately.. It was getting dark fast, but in the 10 or fifteen minutes I had, I found another Aluminum T.V. dinner tray at about 6", a aluminum Mountain dew can at 4-6", and a melted chunk of aluminum at about 6" .. So, I Know for sure that if Aluminium ever skyrockets in price, I'll be a rich man.. Cuz I seem to have a damn yard FULL of it!! >:(
I will head out to a local park this weekend, and see what comes up, the snow is pretty well gone now, and it's supposed go up to about 15 deg (thats about 60 F.) I'll take both coils, and sweep the areas I hunt twice at the same settings just to see what the difference might be beyond being able to pinpoint better..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread