Tell Me What You Think

tnfishdaddy

Oct 12, 2005
Upper East Tennessee
I recently started collecting copper pennies. I bought a Ryedale and hoped to make a few bucks. I finally put a $25 box of copper pennies on ebay last night and this morning got an email from a man in a nearby town. He wanted to know how many I had to sell. Of course I told him as many as he needed. He said he was looking to buy5-10 boxes for his grandchild to look through. He asked what kind of price I was looking for. I told him I had been watching several auctions over the last week and prices seemed to range from $50 - 70. I would sell to him for $50 for a $25 box. He emailed me back and said that the price of copper is dropping and he was hoping to get the boxes for $35. Now I don't really care if I sell any or not. Even if ebay doesn't work out, I like sorting pennies. It did get me to thinking. If I sold a box on ebay for $50, I have doubled my money. Of course you have to take off ebay fees and then paypal fees. Then you have to deal with shipping. Most people on ebay are not charging enough to cover shipping costs. They are charging $10 and it is going to cost $15-17. I put in $10 on my auctions to be able to compete. Taing all these costs into account, what would be a fair price to charge this local guy? I don't want to rip anybody off but I also don't want to be ripped off. Just wondering what everybody thinks is fair. It would be easier to sell to him. I think he is hoarding because I don't buy the grandson story. I have noticed him bidding on other auctions.

Upvote 0

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007
Three words: Flat Rate Box.

USPS Priority Mail flat rate box - you can put anything that will fit inside it to a max of 70 pounds. It's 8.5"x11" by about 6" high, so it will hold a lot of pennies! $8.95 anywhere in U.S. - even AK and HI!

I use them to ship lathe parts I sell on eBay...

HH,
Wally

sneak

Oct 24, 2007
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
tnfishdaddy said:
Taing all these costs into account, what would be a fair price to charge this local guy?

I don't think $35 is enough! However, it would be easier to sale locally and not have all the fees and packing and shipping. Maybe $40 if he takes at least 5 boxes at a time? You know how much time you have in a box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread