Tell me why

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Considering the amount of people I meet on a daily basis, who have lost theirs; its amazing we dont find even more! ;)

OP
OP
L

lohi

Falling out of my chair LOL Thank you ;D HH LoHi

OP
OP
L

lohi

They may be my oldest sons I think he lost his LOL ???

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working demolition sites for old houses for the past week or so and every now and then I find a marble. I have only found one that is very old and the others date from about the fifties because I remember having some of them when I was a child. As many as I lost when I was a kid (no pun intended) it's no wonder we find a lot while out detecting. Monty

OP
OP
L

lohi

All joking aside for now is there a reason they are found with a MD or just luck thank you HH LoHi

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
I have often thought of this myself. I have never found one but I would have a couple theories. One might be that the swirl inside a marble could be comprised of some other material that may be metalic? Perhaps just enough to trigger a detector. IRON, I believe is commonly used in red pigments. Heated up like in the process of making glass or pottery and ceramics, like pottery glazes and such., Iron, I believe, turns red. Other materials are used for different colors. Cobalt for Blue for example.

" Cobalt - A hard, brittle metallic element, found associated with nickel, silver, lead, copper, and iron ores and resembling nickel and iron in appearance. It is used chiefly for magnetic alloys, high-temperature alloys, and in the form of its salts for blue glass and ceramic pigments."

While it is a metal, I don't know if cobalt is detectable with a detector. I don't know if this would be the case but, like I said, an off the top of the head theory.

The other thought would be that kids loose marbles while playing on the beach or playgrounds etc. They may loose other items at the same time. It might be interesting to find out what kinds of sites people find the marbles in. Like areas around a home where the children would frequently play. You might find a metal items then find another plastic or other non metal item as well. When I am searching on the beach, for example, several times I have hit on something and would take my scoop and scoop some sand. In the scoop will be a plastic toy or something along with a quarter or dime. In that case, it would, I think, come down to luck and one of those things that is cheracteristic of where you search.

A couple examples of the last point. I search a lot of playgrounds. The stuff I find at a public park, varies greatly from what I might find at a school while other things might be common. Common would be change and small childrens jewelry bracelet charms, pins etc. Zipper pulls from childrens jackets and foriegn coins (show and tell???). Different would be that on school playgrounds I find a lot of broken pencils, (metal eraser end) and paper clips and such. On the playgrounds at the public parks, I have found several diecast cars and other assorted toys. The schools play lots don't seem to have as many toys and the parks don't seem to have the school related items like pens, pencils and paper clips. Thus, I would think that marbles are just common when searching certain areas where other detectable items might also be lost.

catlord17

May 13, 2006
For what it's worth, iron can turn black as well as red depending on the amount of oxygen present.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I think most of the marbles found were found while digging another target, not that they set off the detector...

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same same "uncle"jeffro, doesn't explain the clay one i found today was in the same hole as a penny so......sorry 1960 you have a good analytical mind . just well it it barks like a dog,its a dog......

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I have had faint signals from pieces of glass from old broken bottles. I think there is some sort of metal used in the glass manufacturing. Maybe the glass in marbles is similar. I remember reading an article about it some time ago but cant remember why this particular metal was put in.I know old clear bottles left in sunshine change colour and go purple, this has something to do with a metal compound in the glass.
seeya Neilo ;D

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
No problem. I actually posed it as one of, I think, 3 different thoughts. 1, location, 2 proximity to other items and 3 the possible content of metal in the glass or ceramics.

Like I said, was just some possible theories off the top of my head. Besides, I think I said that I wasn't saying that it was the case. I was just proposing the possibilities.

Like I was saying though Glass and Ceramics can have metalic qualities to them. They can contain some metals as part of their compositions. Clay being a natural substance from a specific area, there could be metals in it as would be contained in the ground in that area. Iron, lead, copper or other local metals for example. Heck, one can even put metals in clay for specific reasons or effects like color. I have some stuff, PMC (Precious Metal Clay) that is a clay which contains silver. You construct something like a piece of jewelry and then fire it. The clay burns away. The metal particals start to melt and assume the space from the clay. Metal combines together leaving the silver to take up the form of the piece that you had constructed. When finished you have a 100% piece of .999 silver. Of course that is a specifically manufacturered product with a high % of silver in it. Not something you would run accross in an old or natural clay piece. But, it is possible that clay shards from certain areas could contain silver or even gold among other things. Like Nielo suggests though, about getting signals from bottles. I think that could be a case with pottery too and it would, probably, only be a weak signal at best.

In your discription, it is obvious, as I also suggested in my other two thoughts, about being simply the nature of the area that one is searching that certain items might be present for the finding. That there might be some non-metalic items that you will find just by digging in certain areas. Like toys on a playground or pencils and paper clips around school yards. Dig in those areas enough, even without your detector, and you will probably find certain things. When searching areas where children play, you might stuble accross items like jacks and marbles zipper pulls and buttons from their clothing and other toys.

The third theory that I suggested was that, as you specifically mentioned about finding a penny near by. Might just be that other lost items are in the same vacinity and while looking for those items, it could be proximity to other lost items.

The one problem that I did have in my mind about metal content theory above was whether there could be enough of a metal, in a dense enough concentration, to register at all or would it be a relatively weak or faint signal. I really don't know that the metal content in any marbles would be that concentrated. Like I said though it was only a thought.

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
I know how you become a treasure hunter.

First you fill your mouth with marbles.

Next you take one out each day.

When you have lost all your marbles you are a treasure hunter. :D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a marble with a metal detector, rather in conjunction with digging for other metalic objects. A a site where there is a lot of earth turned over is ideal since a good hard rain will often uncover marbles on or near the surface. Monty

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the marbles are found while searching for other metal objects. I have found about 6 in 3 years. Better, I have found about a dozen golf balls. I hunt a lot of open fields with my club. I would guess that the type of additional non metal things we find really depends on the area we are hunting. Have a good day.

Ed Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread