Teller help please.

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys/gals, I was wondering how you got your teller to save odd looking or old coins for you. One of the tellers at my pickup bank is really nice but I just don't know how to start the conversation, if you could go step by step in the conversation from saying hi all the way to saying bye, :help: :icon_scratch: :dontknow: it would be really appreciated! even tips are welcome!!!
-Keith​

Upvote 0
I'll play this game...

Hello, Jane.. My name is John. How are you today? (very big smile, and gleaming with positive energy... and joy, and happiness)!

So, I have been coming in regularly and I have meant to ask you something but I kept forgetting... As you know, Im really into old coins, and odd coins, anything different, uncommon, or unusual.... (because im a collector, she knows that by now right?...hopefully). So, do you have any other "collectors" who come in? anyone you keep an eye out for any old, or unusual coins? No matter what her answer is.... Im guessing it will be no though, with a funny look on her face. The next question/most important question from you to her..."What would it take, for you to maybe keep an eye out and when you find something I might be interested in, set it aside for me to grab next time I'm in Jane"? Oh, John, I got a little creeped out there for a minute because I thought you were asking me out or something. Of course I will do that for you!!! Ok Jane, anything I could do for you to make you feel good about going out of your way to help me out?
Done.

I think I am actually going to try this exact script tomorrow as I'm picking up my 2k worth of halves.....
hh

K said:
hey guys/gals, I was wondering how you got your teller to save odd looking or old coins for you. One of the tellers at my pickup bank is really nice but I just don't know how to start the conversation, if you could go step by step in the conversation from saying hi all the way to saying bye, :help: :icon_scratch: :dontknow: it would be really appreciated! even tips are welcome!!!
-Keith​
What I did was take my teller out on a date, but dang it we ended up married in a shotgun wedding....be very, very careful.

I would be very careful about the creep factor.

I have never liked the idea of offering what can be considered a bribe for their good will and cooperation. I think a smiling face and cheerful attitude should be a sufficient motivator.

Tellers are suspicious of odd behavior, and CRH'ers fit the profile.
But I think you can play the "kid" advantage that you have to good effect.

"Hi, .......... how are you today? I have a question or two for you. You know that I am a coin collector. I have a few collections that I would really like to make complete. I like coins that are older, that you don't see very often on the street.
I wonder if you could save coins like that for me to buy if you happen to see them?
If you could do that for me, that would be great !
Thank you so much. Hey, have a nice day !!"

I think just being friendly and explaining what your looking for will probably be bough. Especially considering how old you are, use that to your advantage.

Another thought is the the odd coins might be an annoyance to the teller since they might not know what to do with it, so you offering it to take them off his/her hands could be a relief for them! So I like to try and see how they feel about having the weird half dollars sitting around in their tray....

Simply ask them "What do you do with damaged coins, foreign coins and odd tokens that are found here? Most likely and this just kills me, the answer will be "we throw them in the trash". Since alot of banks are involved in fundraising for charities, ask if you could have those saved for you in exchange for a donation to one of those charities. All the banks I go to regularly have "casual Fridays". The employees donate a dollar to a cause, in order to be able to wear jeans on Friday. Offer to donate to that cause.

TheRockDoc- Thanks for the script! And Good Luck!, :occasion14:
fistfulladirt- I'm only 15, no weddings for me :wink:
Piledriver- Thanks for the script too! and I will be sure to put the "kid" factor on. :laughing9:
azlegends- Thanks for the tip :tongue3:
kennedyfan- Thanks for the tip also! And I don't think this teller is a "cherry picker", so maybe there is some good stuff in this bank! :icon_pirat:
dave5710- I'm depressed at that statement, "we throw them in the trash" :icon_pale: I'll be sure to ask about the donation/charity thing! :icon_thumright:

Again Guys, Thanks for all of the tips and things, this is why I love the CRHing forum and every forum but mostly the CRHing forum ;D on TNet, everyone is very helpful and very informative! :notworthy: :headbang: :hello2:

One thing that I like to do is deal with the same teller as often as possible. If I find one who is overly nice to me, I will usually ask for them when I return. In a short time, all the other tellers know that I come to see "so-and-so" and they automatically point me in her direction. I don't in no way dismiss the other tellers but it helps when you are not dealing with too many folks behind the counter.

Besides, the lady I deal with just goes around and checks the other tellers coin drawers to see what she can find for me. I guess in a way when I hear, "I finally got rid of the last of those things," they welcome me coming into their bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back